Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet cuts off once in a few weeks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 200

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

Hey,
This is my first post here. I've upgraded my Internet recently and I got a new router. However once every 1-2 weeks I get disconnected from all my devices, the wi-fi stops working-you cannot find it in the list of available wi-fi's and even wired connections gives me the computer icon on my old Win XP and it has some sign on it-as if it was unavailable to get network connection. This is resolved once I restart the modem. Router doesn't show any wierd stuff- I've selected it to keep logs and nothing too wierd in it.

Is this a problem with the router itself or is someone doing some sort of attack like DoS or DDoS and my router won't pick it up in logs?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 January 2016 - 10:21 AM.
moved from Firewall Software and Hardware to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:13 PM

You've updated your internet- any chance your using a older modem? Is the modem recommended or provided by your ISP?  I doubt a home user would be the target of a denial of service.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 200

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

The modem is new and it is provided by ISP. Is there anyway I can monitor on what's actually going on?

I mean the modem works and in one moment-the wi-fi is off. Is there any way I can detect a DDoS?

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

You could take the router out of the setup and see if it happens again, or call your ISP next time it happens. They can check the cable modem from there end. They wont support the router unless you got it from them. Modems do have web interfaces unless they have been disabled,  you could check the real time values for upstream/downstream power, signal to noise etc and compare them to the range they should be in for optimal functioning.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users