Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot and MOBO test card gives beep code but no POST indications

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JohnW001

JohnW001

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

I have an HP model 500-070 with Intel i3 CPU and Windows 10.  After a shutdown in which the power was inadvertently shut off before the shutdown was complete, the computer would start to boot, but display an error message with the option to have the problem automatically corrected. After accepting that option, another error would be displayed, again with the option to be corrected.  After that, the first problem would appear and so forth with never any progress toward completing the boot process.  The only way to stop this was to pull the power plug.  After several rounds of retrying this, and before I wrote down the error message, the computer died completely.  Using a power supply tester, I  found that the power supply was bad, so replaced it with a good one. Still, the computer will not boot.  I have tried a bootable Windows 10 rescue CD and also a bootable memory stick.  I then tried a MOBO test card.  It does give five beeps when the power is turned on, but show no information on the POST display LCDs.  I believe the computer has an AMI bios, so the 5 beeps would probably be a motherboard or CPU problem.  Any suggestions?  Do I have to bite the bullet and replace both the MOBO and CPU  Is it reasonable that there could be no POST displays on the MOBO test card or is that card possibly bad also? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

Have you reset UEFI/BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard? According to the support site this is your motherboard. See instructions for clearing BIOS.

When you say the computer does not boot, you mean fans do not turn on and you do not see the HP logo?

Try powercycling the computer if you have not done so already. Pull the power, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Reboot.

What is the make and model of the MB test card? 

Try replacing the button CMOS battery. I know on laptops a dead CMOS battery can prevent a boot.  If you have more than one RAM stick take out all but one. If it does not boot then switch slots until you have tried all slots. If the one stick does not work substitute another RAM stick and try that in all slots.

#3 JohnW001

JohnW001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

I have followed the suggestions of JohnC_21 with mixed results. First to answer the questions in his post.  The fans have always turned on, but there was no HP logo.  The MB test card is from Optimal Shop and was sold through Amazon.

I reset the BIOS using the MB jumper and the initial result was that the HP logo would appear (video out must be working) and I would then see an error message, a statement that information was being gathered for automatic repair, then a reference to "bad_system_config_infor" that could be referenced after the system rebooted.  Then the same thing would happen again with the final reference being "wdf_violation".  The process would then repeat with the first error message, then the second, and so on.  After a few cycles turning the computer off and on, it then stopped doing this and no HP logo would appear again, till after sitting overnight.  Then it worked again to this minimal lever for a while and went back to not showing the HP logo or error messages.

I checked the voltage of the CMOS battery and it reads 3.03V which should be good enough.  I tried playing with the RAM sticks as suggested, but with no effect on the operation.

I just found a note in the MB test card instructions that if the card does not show any codes or light, then  it may be incompatible with the MB and a more advanced model P10050 is required. Nowhere is the model of this card specified.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

I would reset the UEFI BIOS jumper again and at the same time remove the hard drive power and data cables. Reboot the computer and enter UEFI/BIOS. For HP you can tap Esc at boot for the menu options. Does the video stay on? Windows 10 can alter UEFI settings. That automatic repair error is most likely Windows 10 related.  WDF is a Windows Driver Foundation error. This is a hardware driver issue. Removing the hard drive out of the equation will confirm if it is a Windows issue.

#5 JohnW001

JohnW001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

I tried resetting the BIOS jumper again and disconnecting the hard drive completely.  Unfortunately, the computer continues to play dead now with no HP emblem on the screen or anything else.  I feel that I am getting closer to a new MB.  What do you think about  the MB test card?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

I don't have any experience with mother board testers. Have you tested the PSU?  It's not perfect but if you have a multimeter it will show your voltages. If the PSU tests out then it is probably motherboard related. Is the HP still under warranty? 

If you remove both mouse and keyboard do you get a logo screen or beep code during boot?

#7 JohnW001

JohnW001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

The PSU was bad when I first had this problem and I have replaced the unit.  I use a PSU tester from Optimal Shop and the new one test correctly for all voltages.  With the mouse and keyboard removed and the hard drive still removed also, there is no logo screen and I still the beep code with 5 beeps.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

I think your initial assumption that it is a MB or CPU issue is correct. If the computer is under warranty then I would not try it but perhaps reflashing  UEFI would work. This page shows different beep codes but I could not find anything with just 5 beep codes other than BIOS recovery or failure to read a file.

#9 JohnW001

JohnW001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

I have been stymied at trying to reflash the UEFI since the HP website does not list any updates.  I don't care about it being an update, but that is apparently all they will provide.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

It seems like HP UEFI/BIOS updates are hard to come by or are non-existent for your motherboard.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1837588/joshua-h61-uatx-bios-update-needed-cpu-upgarde-sandy-ivy.html

The post on page 2 in this thread references firmware but it's actually firmware for the BlueRay writer, not the MB.

Have you contacted HP support? They may be able to provide you with the  current version.

#11 JohnW001

JohnW001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

I never found a BIOS update for the HP motherboard and two different motherboard test cards showed no activity on the motherboard.  So, I replaced it with a Gigabyte H97-HD3 motherboard and a new core i3 processor.  That all works now except for two problems. First, the front panel USB 3.0 ports now don't work.  I have been looking in the BIOS for something to turn these ports on.  The second problem is that I have now tried two USB internet adaptors and in both cases, the computer can not recognize them after installing the appropriate drivers.  These are used on the built in USB ports that do work.  Is it possible that I have received two dead adaptors, or can this be a motherboard issue?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:31 PM

I am assuming the USB 3 ports on the back of the computer work, correct? I am not sure if this is a problem with the USB 3 front header on the motherboard or the case cable for the front USB 3 ports. See device Frt_USB30 next to your AXT power connector on page 4 of your motherboard manual. Also #8 on page 18. How are you wiring the header. Does the HP case have a 20pin connector for the USB 3.0 motherboard header.

These are USB wifi dongles? This could be a Windows 10 issue. There have been big issues with Windows 10 and some wifi chipsets. See this chart of TPlink adapters that are Windows 10 plug and play. Some do not support Windows 10 until the next version is released.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article-15587.html

#13 JohnW001

JohnW001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:42 PM

Yes, the USB 3 ports on the back of the computer do work.  The front panel USB 3 ports are plugged into the motherboard with a 20 pin connector, as was the case with the HP motherboard.  

Yes, these are USB dongles.  One is a TP-Link WN725N ver2.1 (USB 2.0) and the other is a Etakcity CF-912AC (USB 3.0).

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

I am not sure why the TPlink WN725N does not work as it is supposed to be plug and play. The front USB 3 ports worked on the HP motherboard?  If it did then it's possible the USB3 front header of the motherboard is bad or the cable itself which could be a coincidence. Another possibility is HP using a proprietary connection for the front USB 3 ports. See this thread regarding a ASRock motherboard. The HP motherboard mentioned is same as what is in the HP500-070, the Joshua - H61. Possibly the only way to confirm if it is a MB problem is to try the front panel accessory mentioned in the thread. Or possibly a cable such as this

Can you try the wifi adapters on another computer? When attached do you see them in Device Manager?

#15 JohnW001

JohnW001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

I have tested the TP Link WN725N on another HP computer running windows 10 and it installs, works correctly, and appears in Device Manager under Networks.  On the HP computer that I am rebuilding with the Gigabyte motherboard, the Device Manager shows no category for Networks.  Under a category called Other Devices, there are audio, ethernet, generic monitors, SM bus controller, and video controller (VGA compatible).  Of this group, only the generic monitors shows that a driver is installed, hence the video works.  There is apparently no audio output.  When I try to install the drivers from the Gigabyte utility disk, I get the following message screen:

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

(name of driver file)

The system cannot find the file specified.

Would this seem like a BIOS problem, a motherboard problem, or perhaps some corruption of the Windows 10 software?

Thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users