Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezing/crashing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ABDomega

ABDomega

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

Hello,

My laptop, Lenovo W7 64bit, has been freezing/crashing lately. I haven't had the BSOD but it will freeze at seemingly any moment (e.g. while playing game, while surfing web, while coming back from sleeping, etc.). I'm currently running Malwarebytes free and Avast free. To make matters worse, they keep asking me to pay for their premium product but I swear I've only downloaded the free versions (is there something to stop the things from saying its out of date or asking me to register to their pro or full versions?)

Anyway, anytime it freezes, Ctrl, Alt, Delete does nothing, no response. So I have to restart with the power button. Sometimes it restarts as normal, sometimes it comes to the safe screen where it gives me the option start in safe mode (which I never do).

I've used this board before and it helped so I'm trying again.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RootKit24

RootKit24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

@ABDomega, which version of Windows are you running? ex Windows xp,vista,7,8, or 10. Also, which are you running, a 32 or 64bit OS. If you don't know where to locate this information, respond back to the post and I will help guide you through your troubles.

-Rootkit 

#3 ABDomega

ABDomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

@ABDomega, which version of Windows are you running? ex Windows xp,vista,7,8, or 10. Also, which are you running, a 32 or 64bit OS. If you don't know where to locate this information, respond back to the post and I will help guide you through your troubles.

-Rootkit 

Hi Rootkit. I'm currently running Windows 7 64bit (which came stock with the computer). 

Edited by ABDomega, 27 January 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#4 RootKit24

RootKit24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

Lets first see if the computer is in normal mode and not selective startup mode. Then we will address how to remove malwarebytes. Basically whenever you installed malwarebytes, the free version, at the end there was a selection of choices where you had to uncheck enable trail version of malwarbytes. But I will help you out.

msconfig

-----------

1)click the start menu

2)in the search field type msconfig

3)if your computer is in selective mode, click on normal mode. It will ask you to restart. Do so. 

malwarebytes

------------------

1)visit www.ninite.com

2)select revo uninstaller

3)run the program

4)located malwarebytes in the list

5)follow the steps to remove all traces of malwarebytes from your system.

6)once finished, check C:/Program Files (x86) folder to make sure the malwarebytes folder was removed. If not then delete it.

8)reboot your machine

9) download malwarebytes from www.ninite.com     NOTE: when you install malwarebytes make sure to not to just click through the install wizard.

If you get stuck somewhere during this process DM me directly.

#5 ABDomega

ABDomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

Okay, no problem with above. Computer was operating in normal mode. Uninstalled Malwarebytes fully and reinstalled with Ninite installer. 

I'm not sure if this is going to solve the crashing problem, though. I believe it was crashing before issues with Malwarebytes. 

#6 RootKit24

RootKit24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:16 AM

ABDomega,

I wanted to help you with your issues step by step, so there is no confusion. But I can post everything I would do for my clients machines all at once, if your prefer that.

I would start with a total virus cleanup first, using the tools here on bleepingcomputer. Use the following rkill, tdsskiller, jrt, adw, autoruns, combofix (only for xp, win7, window8 machines only), malwarebytes, super anti-spyware, and download this tool https://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/. Once you ran the virus scans, reboot the machine. Then run a check disc, to verify the integrity of the hard drive.

Open command prompt:

-------------------------------

Click the start menu, type cmd

once cmd shows up in the list press ctrl, shift, and enter. This will make put you into admin cmd line.

type the following chkdsk C:

tell me your findings after doing so. 

We can take this processes one step at a time, if you like.

-Rootkit

#7 ABDomega

ABDomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:59 PM

Thank you!

I ran all of the above except for autoruns and malwarebytes. Autoruns seems to focus on programs at startup and I'd need your direction selecting specific applications. Also, this computer boots up in about 30 seconds. Malwarebytes scanned from this morning (before your last post) and was still scanning when I got home (12 hours and still going) so I didn't want to run that again. All the other tools seemed to find and remove a threat of some sort.

Below are findings from the disk check:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Windows7_OS.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
  334336 file records processed.
File verification completed.
  1683 large file records processed.
  0 bad file records processed.
  0 EA records processed.
  9823 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
  416802 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.
  0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
  334336 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  41234 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  34790096 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

961739479 KB total disk space.
 187598592 KB in 213766 files.
    152984 KB in 41235 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    465819 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 773522084 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 240434869 total allocation units on disk.
 193380521 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Windows\system32>

#8 RootKit24

RootKit24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

I would run in a elevated command prompt, sfc /scannow. If you did that already, i would run a full check disc overnight and report your finding from the event log in the morning.

#9 RootKit24

RootKit24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

For elevated command prompt and running sfc /scannow:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1) click the start button, then search for cmd, then press ctrl, shift, and enter at once.

2) type sfc /scannow

For full check disk scan: 

----------------------------

1) click the start button, then search for cmd, them press ctrl, shift, and enter at once.

2) chkdsk /f/r <drive letter>

NOTE: it may take awhile for the full check disk to finish.

For Event Viewer

--------------------

1) click the start button and type event viewer, press enter

2) click on Customs Views > select administrative events > right click on administrative events > select find > type in the search box chkdsk

NOTE:the log file will show up as wininitl, after the search is completed. After the full check disk has completed, the log file will help me determine if you have any issues with your hard drive.

#10 ABDomega

ABDomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

Okay, I did as you recommended. I should note now that my computer has SSD for the OS. I first ran chkdsk on the HDD but it didn't want to do it because there was no OS on it. So, I ran the chkdsk as instructed above and it made me dismount and run the check on reboot (otherwise it wouldn't run it). I did so and at the end it just kept writing "Error in writing the output log." So I did a hard restart and it booted up fine (after I had to cancel the chkdsk startup). Now something interesting. The SSD drive is 24.4 GB and originally had maybe 20 GB free. Now it says it only has 1.80 GB free. But, when I select all the files in that drive they only add up to 3.66 GB, so really I should have around 20 GB free. 

As for the event log:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Ntfs
Date:          1/9/2016 9:42:07 AM
Event ID:      55
Task Category: (2)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Sam-PC
Description:
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume Windows7_OS.
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Ntfs" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">55</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>2</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-09T14:42:07.947892700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>104550</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Sam-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>Windows7_OS</Data>
    <Binary>06000C000200380002000000370004C000000000020100C068000000000000000000000000000000DD041400DC93020000001B00</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

#11 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:45 AM

Hi ABDomega ^_^,

Could you please post the results of running the below diagnostics?

http://carrona.org/hddiag.html

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#12 ABDomega

ABDomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

So I tried that link and I was able to locate the part number for my SSD (where the OS is installed) but I was not able to find the diagnostic for my SSD on Samsung's website. I sent them a message and am waiting for a response. Any other options while I wait?

Edit to add:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Support regarding your concerns and inquiries. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you.

Unfortunately, our Magician software will not work with the SSD as it is an OEM unit. Please contact the system integrator or attempt to find a 3rd party diagnostic tool.

Thank you for contacting Samsung and have a good day!

BA

CGN9999

Edited by ABDomega, 03 February 2016 - 04:33 PM.

#13 ABDomega

ABDomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:16 AM

Hi ABDomega ^_^,

Could you please post the results of running the below diagnostics?

http://carrona.org/hddiag.html

-Pranav

Thank you. I did some more investigating and determined the drives are Seagate. So I downloaded SeaTools and burned the ISO file to a CD-R. I followed the instructions on how to boot from the CD and I selected the drive in BIOS and it got to "Starting BCDW..." and stopped. How long does it stay on that screen? I waited about 2-3 minutes and rebooted. Any ideas?

#14 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

Did you set the boot priority correctly? Also, I think that the message is not complete. Could you please post the complete message?

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users