Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98se Computer Destroyed By Lightning Strike

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dzunda

dzunda

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:33 PM

My mom had an old 98SE and now I can't even get the POST test to run or the BIOS beep codes to analyze what's going on. The monitor won't come on either and the CPU fan isn't running. Is it possible that the data on the hard drive will be okay? I would like to take the hard drive out and see if I can hook it up as a slave drive in another computer so I can at least get a backup of her video files. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:39 AM

Is it possible that the data on the hard drive will be okay?

Pretty good probability of it being okay, but you just never know. Most likely the MB or PS got fried, thus the thing not getting any power.

Just change the jumper to slave and put it in another computer and see what's up. Good luck!

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:59 AM

The monitor won't come on either and the CPU fan isn't running.

This same thing happened to me at work.

After installing a new computer and setting everything up, I left thinking I was done.

A week later, the coworker who was using it called to report the same sysmptoms you have reported. I went over and spent the next two hours trying every convoluted method I knew to coax the machine back to life.

In a fit of frustration, I went to disconnect the whole lot and take it back to my office for further work. As I knelt down to take the power cords out of the surge protector, I noticed that the switch of the protector was off. :thumbsup:

The lesson: Make sure it's plugged in!

#4 dzunda

dzunda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. It at least gives me some hope. It was definitely plugged in when I tried to get it up and running again. I got an amber and a green light on near the power switch and the CPU was humming so I know that the surge protector switch wasn't the problem.
Not sure if it's worth replacing the motherboard or power source on such an old machine. She's been holding on to buy a new one until Vista and new Pentel chip is available...I guess I will have to try to piggyback her hard drive onto one of my older machines...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users