Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my processor dead? Acer Aspire 5735z

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

My old Acer laptop has been turning off after about 15-20mins. Now it will do it after 30 seconds and the display won't come on. How could I test if it is a processor problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

There is no way to directly test the CPU (processor). Testing is done by a process of elimination, performing a series of tests until there is nothing left as a possibility but the processor or the motherboard. However, the characteristics of a blown CPU are: computer gets power when the power switch is pressed; indicators light up, you hear the fan spinning up, all seems normal except that the screen remains dark, the computer is totally unresponsive to any key or mouse activity, and there is no system beep (so the computer does not POST). From what you describe, the problem is not your CPU. I would start with overheating causing auto-shutdown to protect against damage. Start with a good cleanout, but you will have to be brave enough to open the case to inspect for dust accumulation.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

I have removed the panels of the laptop and haven't found much dust...not enough to cause over heating in my opinion. When I power on the laptop there is no beep, and the screen remains totally blank. It only for approx 30 seconds. Fan does come on. Perhaps I'm not looking close enough for evidence of overheating.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

It only for approx 30 seconds

I am not sure what you mean by this; could you explain?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

Sorry, i mean the computer only stays on for approximately 30 seconds after the power button has been pressed and then turns off...

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

When I power on the laptop there is no beep, and the screen remains totally blank. It only for approx 30 seconds.

So I assume that you do not see the POST (Power On Self Test) screen (the black screen with white text on it) at all.

Ok, try to access Safe Mode. You can do this in Windows by tapping an F-key (usually F8) repeatedly when you press the power-on button. Safe Mode loads only the bare essential system files to get your computer booted, so the screen will have a "primitive" look to it. If you can access Safe Mode, let it run for 1/2 hour or so, and open a few programs, access Explore, etc. If it still shuts down, let me know.

#7 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

Nothing appears on screen. I cannot access safe mode. I keep pressing F8 but the laptop keeps turning off.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

Ok. Believe it or not, we are making progress here.

One last test: this is actually a test for your memory, but it will tell us some other things also.

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

>  Your BIOS must be set to CD=1st Boot Device, but unfortunately you cannot access the BIOS so let's hope that it is set that way already.

Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

Let me know what happens. I suspect the lap will still shut down before Memtest runs.

If you have any questions on how to do the above, post back.

Side Note: even if Memtest will not run, you might want to keep it for any future testing on memory that you want to do. This is a utility that I use constantly.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

Still with me?

#10 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Yes still with you. I haven't tried your method yet. However I don't think it will stay on long enough for the disc to boot.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

Ok. Test it out, and if that is the case (as I agree with you) then there are only one of two things that it could be as I see it:

> You have a bad power switch; if the switch is shorting out, it could cause this behavior.

> The motherboard on the laptop has failed. If that is the case, the unit is not repairable. To find another mobo that would fit that unit would be very difficult, you would have to check Ebay and hope for the best.

If you have data on the HDD (hard disk drive), you can remove the drive and slave it to another computer, and if the drive is good you can pull the data off of it. 

The killer here is that the signal from the power supply is not reaching the BIOS. Because of that there is no way of testing anything, even trying to boot from the DVD drive is impossible. That is a strong indication of one of the two reasons above are the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users