Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mandriva

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:07 PM

I'm trying out several CD Live versions of Linnux. I've tried Puppy, Mepis, Ubuntu and
Now I'm using Mantriva. I'd like any opinions, pro or con on this version. Thanks. Seems
to be a very hardy and easy to handle version.. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

hi joe...glad you asked. i'm still a bit new with linux so anything i say may be more false conclusions rather than fact. i'm using mandriva 2006 and like it alot. it is very hardy indeed but just like any OS it can get broken and need reinstallation. i know, i seem to be good at breaking OS's. but it's very easy to reinstall and you don't lose your data if you have a home partition. it's considered one of the best at resizing the windows partition and installing as a dual boot scenario. it uses lilo for the bootloader. default desktop environment is kde 3.4. gnome is available but i haven't tried it out yet i like kde. it uses rpm packages. there are lots of sources available with tons of software.

the negatives that i know about this distro are;
1. there's a slow release cycle for the latest versions of software. for example; the new version of kde (3.5) is not in the repos that i can see. it can be installed manually tho but i'm too busy to figure it out.. same with firefox. but it's really better to wait awhile after new releases come out anyways. so i'm not sure this a negative. security updates are good tho.

2. browser plugins need to be installed manually (flash, java, media codecs, etc.) not really hard to do but can be a pita if you don't know what you're doing.

3. there's a policy from mandriva about not allowing P2P applications. i don't know if it's official policy or just rumor. i think they just won't release p2p apps thru the official sources. but they can be found from other sources and can be installed and run fine. i need to stay away from p2p anyways, looool.

not sure what else to say. it was my first distro and has saved me a couple times after i tried installing some other distro so i keep it around because my machine seems very stable as i have it now. xp/mdv2006. i bought another machine for playing around with other distros. i'm gonna try to quad-boot this other machine with 4 different distros and no microsoft.

Edited by cybormoron, 28 July 2006 - 11:18 PM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#3 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:19 AM

i'm gonna agree with cybormoron having used Mandrake/Mandriva on and off for a few years and using it regular for over a Year.
I'd say Its Great for beginners gives you a good insight into Linux.

K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:45 PM

I've used it and don't like it. Personally I use Freespire. Its easy to install and has loads of bonuses. Plus it looks and feels like Windows XP.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

had it installed and liked it for alil bit,then ran into rpm hell.ive since switched to debian base.i test just about every distro that comes out,even rpm ones.ill stay with my testing/unstable debian.

#6 Storm Rider

Storm Rider

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

Plus it looks and feels like Windows XP.

Is that supposed to be a good thing...lol

#7 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

if you want a linux distro to look and work like windows xp then why use linux at all, just stick to xp.

#8 linuxadoressa

linuxadoressa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:12 PM

Mandriva /in fact Mandrake 9/ was my first distro. It was so nice & easy to install without any serious knowledge.
But not at all to manage! Also, good thing was easy installing on PC with Win 98SE /It must be installed first, after that Mandrake/.
It runs dual boot a couple of months, then messed up /Lilo/. I used it about 1 year, and it crashed /kernel panic/. Maybe, that was my fault, `cause I was curious computer newbee...
It was pretty buggy. It is RPM distro, so that means problems with dependency hell... And it`s not completely free...
After I tried Slackware /one guy from local LUG installed me/, I was amazed! It`s so stable, so good, that I don`t want another OS! I did everything, many things completely wrong, but it never crushed /more than a year, almost two/.
Who says that it`s not user-friendly distro? Maybe for installing, but there are live cd Slackware based distros like
Slack and Zenwalk.
My PC is pure of Windblows now. I`m using Wine for some small win games, only to try it...Don`t need either Word, nor Paint - there are Openoffice & Abiword, Kpaint & Gimp.
I use precompiled packages in tgz format from www.linuxpackages.net and install it easy from console
su /enter/ then:
/root password/ /hit enter/ then:
installpkg firefox...../or openoffice or another package/ - and it`s all done!
Sometimes I compile tar.gz packages. It`s harder. Some programs work, some not. I learn more, faster than earlier... :thumbsup:
Openminded GNU/Linux member # 375493
Posted Image

#9 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

Once you learn how to read logs and the how's and why's of Linux and it's inner workings, reinstalls will be a thing of the past. You just read the logs and fix what fikked up. I have only had to reinstall linux 1 time (Suse 9.1). For some reason it wouldn't leave runlevel 1 and I couldn't get to it to write it out. After I reinstalled, a friend showed me how to fix it...go figure.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#10 masterofmind1969

masterofmind1969

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

I think SUSE is the best really but they are dealing with microsoft so I moved on. I tried ubuntu now i'm trying desktopbsd and pcbsd. This is what i learned linux is just the kernel not an actual OS. So everything else is added in. BSD is an Operating System. BSD is very stable and secure. desktopbsd and pcbsd just came out a few years ago so they still have a long ways to go. Desktopbsd and pcbsd is based on the freebsd OS which means it has ports system to add software so you don't have to compile. They have over 12 000 ports right now.

I tried ubuntu it is a pretty good OS, it runs fast like bsd does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users