Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD freeing space while it is off?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dylanc2261

dylanc2261

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:13 AM

Hello fellow tech enthusiasts,

Earlier today I encountered something quite odd.  I currently have a small 40GB HDD that a friend is loaning me installed in my laptop.  This morning while using it I noticed that I had roughly 2GB of storage available as there is not much to go around on the HDD.  Keep in mind the fact that there was only 2GB free.  I shut off my laptop and left for the afternoon, upon arriving home tonight I started up my laptop and opened my file browser and now have 13GB free.  Odd, right?  Shocked, I closed out the browser and reopened it to see if maybe it was a fluke and it still showed 13. So, I downloaded a file of about 900MB to see if the HDD had just misread the available space.  It removed the correct amount of free space so that ruled out any kind of accuracy issue with it.  After talking with a friend he suggested using a program called space sniffer to see what it might pick up and it also showed 13GB(minus the 900MB file which left 12.1GB).  So if any of you can offer any insight to how my hard drive freed 10GB of space while the laptop was off I would gladly appreciate any information.

Thank you.

P.S. everything on the computer was exactly the same, no files or applications were missing.

P.P.S. If I do not respond it is because I am asleep, not ignoring your response.

Edited by hamluis, 27 January 2016 - 08:32 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

If no files are missing/corrupted, it probably had just cleaned up temporary or cache files because of how little available space the hard drive had. This is normal, and doesn't hurt the computer.

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

- I assume that Windows noticed that the amount of free disk space got below a certain level and then started to remove files that were no longer needed.

- I would recommend to remove A LOT OF obsolete/old files. A good & reliable program to do that is Piriform's CCleaner.

#4 dylanc2261

dylanc2261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

I use ccleaner constantly so my cache stays cleared, and I've had this low amount of space since I installed the hard drive and started using it as I use a lot of programs. My storage would sometimes be as low as 200MB for weeks at a time, constantly reminding me to delete some files to free space. I'm aware the computer was fine, I was just curious as to how it could have freed that much space while the laptop was off.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#6 dylanc2261

dylanc2261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:32 PM

Why was my post moved? Its not an issue that I'm seeking a solution to, just a topic that I thought would be interesting to discuss with others to hear some interesting theories. And why to the "Windows XP Home and Professional" thread? I use Windows 10, not XP. Could this please be moved back to General Chat please so that myself and others can resume possible theories about my mischievous HDD?

Please and thank you.

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

Perhaps a restore point was deleted since your drive space was getting low. This link is for Windows 7, but I'd presume it's still relevant to Windows 10.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

For the record...topic was moved to XP so that I can keep an eye on it and you did not previously indicate what O/S is involved.

Topic belongs in an O/S forum, IMO...if you read the criteria for Gen Chat topics, you will see that problems/situations concerning computers...wind up in one of the computer forums, not Gen Chat.  Here at BC. subject matter determines where a given topic should be placed.

Topic moved to Win 10 Support, where your topic seems to be belong...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 January 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#9 dylanc2261

dylanc2261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

But its not a problem?

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

- No I don't consider this to be a (big) problem.

However, if you don't like this then you can do a number of things to increase the amount of free diskspace:

- I would recommend to regularly use (once a week or once a month) the build in Disk Defragmentation program (Use Task Scheduler). I recognize the problem because I also still had enough free disk space but nonetheless Windows decided that it should deleted a bunch of System Restore Points. It seems that if the free amount of free space is too fragmented then Windows starts to delete System Restore Points as well.

- Regularly run the build in "Disk Clean Up" tool and also include deleting the (archived) system files (can be done with that same tool).

- Internet Explorer, Firefox & Chrome can be configured to delete all temporary internet files when those browsers close.

- Regularly clean the content of "C:\Windows\Softwaredistribution\Download".

- etc. (GOOGLE it)

All things put together reduces the risk of Windows deleting (A LOT OF) (temporary) files.

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:51 PM

But its not a problem?

Don't worry, regardless of which section this is in, I think your earlier statement "the computer was fine, I was just curious as to how it could have freed that much space while the laptop was off." makes it quite clear that this thread isn't a support request, but rather a general discussion purely out of interest. It's just here, because it's about Windows 10. I'm interested to hear some theories too.

#12 dylanc2261

dylanc2261
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:50 AM

Well now I feel like an ass, and I agree about hearing some theories. I checked the restore points, still only the one I created upon updating the computer. So there was nothing deleted as far as that goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users