Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus S200E won't turn on after Liquid damage!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:02 PM

I accidentally spilled wine on my Asus S200E Laptop and now it won't turn on.  I am tempted to buy a used Motherboard and try to install that and see if that makes it work.  Is there likely to be any additional damage besides the Motherboard?  What are my options?  Thanks

Edited by cap2587, 26 January 2016 - 11:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:03 AM

How much damage depends on the amount of liquid you spilt & how far it got inside the machine - you need to open up the machine & have a look - any sticky components bits are probably useless. I would expect at the very least that the keyboard is probably u/s.

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

My guess is it is not worth repairing with other parts.  Is there any components that could be sold, but how would I know if they still work. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

See if the computer boots with the keyboard cable removed from the MB. But as rqt posted for a wine spill you are looking at at least a keyboard.

You can save the hard drive and optical drive if you have one depending on if the wine entered the optical drive area. You may be able to salvage the CPU and fan/heat sink after a good cleaning.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 January 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

Too bad it's mostly not good news.  For me, skilled at these things, two days of meticulous cleaning and it MIGHT come back to life.  If you're up to that task I can give a detailed procedure but it is mostly general and not unit specific, you need to get it apart first and access the extent of the damage.

#6 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:50 AM

I spilled a coke across my laptop's keyboard a month or two ago.  I immediately pulled the power cord and turned the machine off then held it upside down for a few minutes.  Wiped off liquid and placed the machine in to a zip loc bag full of white rice.  I was not expecting a positive outcome so imagine my suprise when I checked it out after about 2 weeks in the rice bag and it fired right up!  I did not take it apart or clean the inside at all.  WIped her off and it still works great except for a couple keys stick on the keyboard.  I got lucky as heck and I hope you had a similar outcome.  Best of luck.  

PS- Spilling wine on computer is alcohol abuse.  Perhaps you would consider attending a 12 step meeting... :lmao: 

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:48 AM

The rice bag is a good approach but I'm sure you won't be upset when it dies in another week.  COKE, it couldn't be worse.  The insides are not dry, sticky, gummy brown bubbles, catching every last dust particle.  Sticky keys is only the beginning.

#8 djkea

djkea

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

Well ya know mjd you 

The rice bag is a good approach but I'm sure you won't be upset when it dies in another week.  COKE, it couldn't be worse.  The insides are not dry, sticky, gummy brown bubbles, catching every last dust particle.  Sticky keys is only the beginning.

Well it has made it another week without getting stuckon itself.  I am thinking the coke didnt get down past the keyboard or you would certainly have been correct about it being headed towards a sticky, dusty death.  I must attribute the laptops survival on my extremely fast reflexes and nearly Superhuman cat like hand eye co-ordination.  Wait a second, cats don't have hands.  Oh well, it was a really good save on my part...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users