Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted/unknown IP address on my system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aliceb

aliceb

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

I have been experiencing several print issues on my ASUS X54C Computer, powered by Windows 10. My conversion was smooth and seemed to function well but after Chrome 47 was rolled out in late Nov/early December, I had so much trouble, that I temporarily switched to Firefox as a browser. Lately, it seemed to be functioning well and I went back to Chrome. Last week, without warning, my printer was switched to offline and running the Windows Diagnostic just produced an ERROR message. Today, I tried to install a new printer which my computer did not recognize so I called a techie. It seems that an unknown IP address had installed itself on my hard drive and things were inadvertently being shut down without my knowledge.

That has been corrected/removed (and a McAfee Virus Scan has so far not revealed any issues) but here is my question: I recently sent about 135 emails through Eventbrite - could any of those emails addresses been compromised by coming from my computer or do I assume that Eventbrite's system is rigorous enough to weed out any unwanted passengers??

Also, is anyone familiar with Technology Solutions as an online repair company? Are they reputable??

Thanks for any help you can offer, looking forward to your replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:17 AM

I wonder about the diagnosis of an unknown IP address.

First off, was it an internal IP address, or was it an external IP address?

If internal, that was just a glitch in the system (IMO).

If external, it requires virus removal - but the IP address itself won't be installed.

I know nothing about EventBrite - but don't suspect that they would scan outgoing email address'

I know nothing about Technology Solutions - but a Google search gives many different companies by this name.

I think your primary concern here is if you are infected.
If that's true, then I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

Also, our forums can provide free support for printers, browser issues, and your Asus computer.

I'd suggest (after the Am I Infected forum posting is resolved) that you post back here with any issues.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JamesMore

JamesMore

• Banned Spammer
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:00 AM

Is your windows firewall on?

#4 aliceb

aliceb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

Thanks folks, for your quick and illuminating responses. My Firewall is indeed on but some question as to whether it may have slipped when I was having all the hiccups with Chrome 47 - something odd was definitely happening. McAfee screenings reveal no virus now so it seems ok.(I will consult with the other forums mentioned on that subject also.) The alien IP address was confusing and the fact that something/someone seemed to have turned off functions without my knowledge was a bit weird too. When I first noticed Chrome behaving badly, pages not loading etc, I did install "Fix My PC" which I am told is a program that looks like it is doing something but really isn't. That may have added to my woes. It was all very strange and I am not convinced, in retrospect, that all was attributable to a newer version of Chrome. So just to understand, if an odd IP address shows up in your Registry, it isn't always bad??i

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

That is not a valid generalization.  An IP address itself is not bad or good - it's the site that resides at that address that's bad or good

There's lot's of ways to check IP addresses.  You can start by going to Google and just typing in the IP address.

But there's several things to be aware of:

- the difference between internal and external IP address' (192.168.x.x and others are internal)

- knowing that the search results in Google won't always give you a straight answer - so you'll have to research them in detail.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users