Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\Windows.old

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TxTrapper

TxTrapper

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

Windows 7 sp1 32-bit   Dell Optiplex desktop

I was unable to do the Windows 7 Upgrade, so I decided to do a complete re-install to solve the problems with Updates other issues.

I chose the "Advanced" option to install a fresh Windows Operating System as I have an external HD backup with Microsoft backups and a system image.  Suprisingly the backup I chose kept all my documents intact like the Upgrade does.  I now have a clean snappy operating system and I intend to keep it that way, any suggestions on how to manage that will be appreciated.

The reason for this post is the back up kept all my old files and named them as such C:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings.  I would like to remove all the .old files without damaging my new install?  Here is a pic describing the issue.  I discovered them in a search in Windows Explorer, there are a lot of them.

Thanks,

Tx

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

Hi TxTrapper :)

The best way to remove the Windows.old folder is to use the Windows Disk Cleanup Tool to manage System Files, and delete previous installation of Windows. A tutorial on how to proceed can be found at the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/how-do-i-remove-the-windows-old-folder

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users