Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone hack you using your computer ip?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 markus876

markus876

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

I've been looking about this and can't find any topic so here am I, asking.

So this is what happened. I was playing left 4 dead 2 and hosting a local server (to avoid lag issues), so we were playing and people joined and everything was fine. But their ping increased suddenly and a guy said why am I hosting the server. Then he said my computer ip "192.168.x.x:27xxx" (X' are other numbers that I dont know if I should write here). This ip is shown in the console in game when typing "status" so my computer ip was there, for anyone to see it  :scratchhead:

So, I went check on microsoft to see how can I find my ip address and upon following their steps I found out that my computer ip is "192.168.x.x". Can someone hack me with this ip? and with the port?

thanks

Edited by markus876, 27 January 2016 - 03:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

If someone knows my IP address, can they hack my computer?

...Depending on how your computer is connected to the Internet and the type of security in place, your computer may vulnerable for hack. In reality, chances of your computer being hacked from your known IP address is very unlikely.

Is it possible to hack an IP address?

In short, probably not.

IP addresses are technically not able to be hacked. They're fundamental to routing data on the internet, and as such an attempt to hack an IP address would break the hackers connection to whatever he was trying to access.

We have had two previous discussion topics on the same question.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 markus876

markus876
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

Hi, but those topics talk about internet ip not computer ip

Thanks

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

An IP address (Internet Protocol address) is a unique address used to identify a computer and communicate with other computers. There are two types of addresses employed on the Internet...Public and Private IP addresses. A Public IP address is assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and is your public identifier on the web. A public IP address is assigned to a computing device to allow direct access over the Internet...it is globally unique and can only be assigned to an unique device. A Private IP address is assigned by your router, which allows identification within the constraints of your local area. A private address is allocated by InterNIC to allow organizations to create their own private network.

Computers can use static or dynamic IP addresses. A static IP address is a number assigned to a computer by an Internet service provider (ISP) and intended to be its permanent (fixed) address on the Internet, thus, it will not change. A dynamic IP address uses Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) to obtain an IP address and might change when you get a new lease. Since there are not enough IP numbers for each computer, many ISPs and DHCP Servers limit the number of static IP addresses they assign by utilizing a pool of IP addresses instead. The ISP will temporarily assign a dynamic IP address automatically to a requesting DHCP computer from this pool of addresses and it will change each time you connect to the Internet. When you disconnect from the Internet, the temporary dynamic IP address is returned to the IP address pool so it can be assigned to someone else. When you reconnect, you are then assigned a different dynamic IP address from those available in the pool.

If the IP address is received via DHCP, it is almost always a Private IP address with ranges as follows.
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

If not, then it is a Public IP address.
If you don't know whether your IP address is static or dynamic, then it is probably dynamic.

What is the difference between public and private IP addresses?
Private and Public IP Addresses: What’s the Difference?
What is the difference between public and private IP address?
What is a Private IP Address? An explanation for the novice user
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

I've been looking about this and can't find any topic so here am I, asking.

So this is what happened. I was playing left 4 dead 2 and hosting a local server (to avoid lag issues), so we were playing and people joined and everything was fine. But their ping increased suddenly and a guy said why am I hosting the server. Then he said my computer ip "192.168.x.x:27xxx" (X' are other numbers that I dont know if I should write here). This ip is shown in the console in game when typing "status" so my computer ip was there, for anyone to see it  :scratchhead:

So, I went check on microsoft to see how can I find my ip address and upon following their steps I found out that my computer ip is "192.168.x.x". Can someone hack me with this ip? and with the port?

thanks

No, that is your private IP. Your private IP is not accessible from the Internet.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users