Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help or an explanation please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Betjeman

Betjeman

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

Hi

Thought I was ok with computers until today, but events have shown how little I understand.

Today I decided to swap my hard drive for an SSD, and bought one from my local Computer shop.

Told it was a simple case of swapping them over then reinstalling windows 10, however, I don't have a bootable disc as windows 7 Pro came installed on the laptop when I first got it (it's been my work laptop provided by the company for about three years, which they have now replaced and let me keep the older one). I upgraded to 10 about three months ago. I do however have a valid activation key.

So I swapped the drives over and got the error messge No bootable device, insert bootable disc.

Hunted for this on the internet and having no luck turned to Microsoft Answer desk.

They pointed me to the ISO download link which I downloaded and then burnt to DVD

Restarted the laptop and at first got the same error message as before.

Turned again to Answer desk and got the usual platitudes, and then they told me it was a hardware error and I should contact the laptop manufacturer. I've heard this before from Microsoft and it seem to be a stock answer when they don't know what to do!

I then did a hard restart and got a set up F2 option which showed the new SSD as detectable and working, exited that and restarted to find that the windows installation screen appeared. That was two hours ago and I've just been going round and round in circles.

Could someone please explain what I'm doing wrong, or if it's actually something wrong with the software.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

Test your bootable W10 DVD on another system to see if it does indeed boot.

Don't install with it, just make sure it'll boot to the DVD.

If it doesn't boot, then you know where the problem is (I spent my first day as a PC Tech making copies of ISO's to disk - never realizing that I had to use an ISO burner and not just copy the ISO to a disk).

If that does work, then go back and try to boot from the DVD

Where do you get in the boot/installation process.

What error message/bad behavior did you get?

I'm a bit confused where you say it got to the Windows installation screen and now you're going around in circles.
Why?  What happens when you click on "Install now" (or similar) button?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Betjeman

Betjeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:23 PM

Test your bootable W10 DVD on another system to see if it does indeed boot.

Don't install with it, just make sure it'll boot to the DVD.

If it doesn't boot, then you know where the problem is (I spent my first day as a PC Tech making copies of ISO's to disk - never realizing that I had to use an ISO burner and not just copy the ISO to a disk).

If that does work, then go back and try to boot from the DVD

Where do you get in the boot/installation process.

What error message/bad behavior did you get?

I'm a bit confused where you say it got to the Windows installation screen and now you're going around in circles.
Why?  What happens when you click on "Install now" (or similar) button?

Click install now

then asks for activation code

Entered

License agreement

Accept

Which Type of installation do you want?

Upgrade

Then get the following

"The computer started using windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart the computer so that windows start normally. Then insert the the installation media and restart the upgrade. Do not select custom (Advance)"

Should i be clicking on Custom?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

What happens if you "Remove the installation media and restart the computer so that windows start normally".

What I suspect here is that the installation was damaged/corrupted somehow.

So, yes, click on Custom.

That will wipe everything off of the system.

When you get to the screen where it asks where to install it - delete all of the partitions, then let it install on the unallocated space.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Betjeman

Betjeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

Clicked on custom regardless!

Now got 

where do you want to install windows?

What do I choose now?

Only
Refresh
Load Driver  
New
are active

Ok

clicked load driver

pointed at ESD-ISO 

Report No signed device drivers were found

Started installation again

didn't choose any of the above just clicked next 

Now at status page

Copying window files (tick)

Getting files ready for installation (running through percentages)

all done and seems to be running perfectly

Edited by Betjeman, 26 January 2016 - 07:16 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

Glad to hear it!  Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users