Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Heyoldman

Heyoldman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

What is Linux/unix and what do most people use it for? i would like to learn how to use this way of style but have no idea where to start. need help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

The most simple answer to the question "What is Linux/unix"

Its an Operating System and it does prety much what your current OS (Operating System) does
Start by going here to Take The Test to find Which Distro suits your needs

Then if you have any questions your in the right place :thumbsup:

K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

Unix is an old OS (kinda like MS DOS)(since before the windows boom) I dont know if it is still out there. Linux is a Unix based OS that is what is referd to as open source software this means that anyone has access to the code or the kernal. This is differant then WinDoze or Mac OSX where you cannot access the kernal.

Keep in mind nothing is free. Although Linux has cost me a mere 2% of the money I spent for Win XP. I still had to buy the CD/DVD's to burn it to and use my internet to Download it.
(Dont try to DL the DVD w/ Dial up. It took me Six hours w/ cable). It also has taken me months to learn to use. And I'm nowhere as good with FC5 (the distro I use) as I am w/ XP (of course Xp was designed for the masses).

Posted Image

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:21 PM

Why would Ubuntu want to send me free CDs? I mean, what is the catch? I was just reading a little about Linux and thought I might want to try it.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

Buddy where did you get that offer from? Can you link to it? As for the catch Ubuntu has no catches that Im aware of. It is a good OS I have a copy. The vendor may have a catch though.

Posted Image

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,197 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:52 PM

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Yea, I was wondering if it is going to come packed with a gift that keeps on giving. Or if it is legitimate and why.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:27 PM

There is NO Catch

Distrowatch

Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit. "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

Posted Image

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,197 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:10 PM

Hi AmBush, (George?) Have you received free CD's in the mail from Ubuntu?
Is it a pain to establish an internet connection and email with Ubuntu? I have cable.

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

No if you have used mandravia or mandrake. umbuntu is based off of them. but to avoid the wait you can D/L many linux distros at Linux.org Click on the Distribution Tab . they have a search engine ish thing that helps to sort out which distros will work for you and do what you want to do. It is at the bottom of the page

Edited by BlackSpyder, 29 July 2006 - 11:51 PM.

Posted Image

#10 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:04 AM

Hi AmBush, (George?)

Me ? no m8

Have you received free CD's in the mail from Ubuntu?
Is it a pain to establish an internet connection and email with Ubuntu? I have cable.

Not Tried Ubuntu yet i have a copy that came with Linux Format. May try it one day If and When i can stop playing BF2 long enough.

Posted Image

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:00 AM

Dvd for ubuntu runs about 4-6 hrs w/ cable through BitTiorrent.
CD's 4 of em in all are 1hr apice using the same method.
Becareful when using BT if your bandwidthis limited. It will slow you way down when trying to D/l all 4 cds or 1 dvd at once.

BitTorrent is about the best way to d/l distros

Posted Image

#12 Zoomer

Zoomer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:20 AM

I didn't use BitTorrent as I haven't figured it out yet. I did download Ubuntu 6.06, (latest stable), from one of Ubuntu's mirrors. It's 697 MB, one CD, I think it was about one and a half hours on DSL. The one CD is both a live CD for trial purposes and a graphical install when you're ready to take that step. I've got 6.06 running on two machines, one a dual boot laptop, and I couldn't be happier. Less of a problem than with my Win XP systems.

I have gotten free mail copies of Ubuntu - great system - no catch. The primary sponsor of Ubuntu is very rich and he's evangelistic about Linux and Ubuntu. I've tried several distro's and in IMHO this is the best. (I know that Tux magazine rated Mandravia ahead of Ubuntu but that was in April. The current version of Ubuntu didn't come out until June.

I guess what's got me so excited was the ease of installation. With no hokey codes or anything it installed on my laptop: properly used the 16x10 screen; installed power management including screen shutdown, disk shutdown, hibernation, lid closing and sleep button; recognized and configured both my hardwire LAN and wireless LAN connections; recognizes my thumb drive; recognized my wireless USB mouse; installed Firefox and Thunderbird with icons on the task bar; and a whole host of other stuff, all without interference from me. The installation was actually easier than one I did recently for Windows XP.

And it stays up to date easier than my Windows machines. I've already got Firefox and Thunderbird 1.5.0.5, and I didn't have to do anthing but click an okay button to download and install them. What could be easier?

I guess you can tell I'm a big fan of Ubuntu.
The package said "Requires Windows 95 or better" but when I tried to install it on my Linux box - it failed.

#13 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:37 AM

Just for giggles...

I d/l the Ubuntu dvd. Burned it, installed and it worked like a dream. Never had to configure anything from the start and was online and all my hardware was recognized and configured for me. The install GUI may be a little complicated for someone accunstomed to windows, unless your familiar with formatting the h/d properly. Other than that, it's a matter of answering a few questions, clicking ok and then using it.

If you know how to configure outlook or outlook express, then u can configure whatever mail client the distro you choose has...or even download a third party one you may prefer (provided it's linux compatible). Ubuntu comes with Evolution and Thunderbird, I prefer thunderbird because I can set up all of my emails independantly instead of as one single acount.

Ubuntu has pheonominal support, their site will get you the answers you need.

There is no catch to the Ubuntu discs> While I was downloading it, I went ahead and ordered them. They got here a couple of days ago and I have not had an increase in junkmail through my door. It is as simple as it says. If you want them, order them. Nothing else will happen other than Ubuntu CDROM coming in your post box.

Keep in mind much of your windows habits will not change provided yopu stay within the GUI. Mind you, the days of *.exe or *.dll are pretty much a thing of the past once you switch. Installing software in Linux works different. Most distros have a convenient GUI to accomplish this and eventually you will want to move on to command line as it's more efficient and you personally control much more of what's going on behind the scenes.

Linux users also learn more about WHY and HOW their computers work. Most windows users click an icon and it works, and that is the extent of their knowledge. After playing around a little while, you'll learn why icons work, exactly where in your files a particular program is and how it is initiated and run.

Welcome to a world of enlightenment. To often these days people use things because they work and that is the extent of their knowledge. Linux gives us, the users, back the control of our equipment and helps us to understand why and how. I used windows since 3.11 and all the way up to XP SP2. I've only been using linux for about 3 years now. Since I have started in Linux, my knowledg of computing has increased 10 fold, where in windows I pretty much just learned how to use each distro...

I could ramble on forever, but the bottom line is this. Do you want a stable and reliable operating system that you tell it what to do. Or are you content with one that crashes, needs reformatting, eats up the memory in RAM and Hard drive, requires complete reinstalls and tells you what you can do with your equipment? Not to mention the security vulnerabilities in windows...
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,197 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

Thanks JoeDude and Zoomer for the info. Anyone can see you both took a lot of time to respond and it is truly appreciated.
I am going to order the Ubuntu CD. Ubuntu was recommended after I took the test to see which was best for me. It determined I was an idiot and Ubuntu is the most user friendly!
I have no qualms about having the CD mailed to my sister's home. Thanks again, Buddy

#15 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:29 AM

It's nothing to do with being an idiot. Ubuntu (as is any Debian/Debian based distro) is an excellent place to start for those who feel really uncertain about the change.

I remember making the decision to switch, it felt almost mystical in a sense...Have fun n enjoy!
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users