Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortening A Doc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

im not really sure where this would go, but

i have a document that is size 13 font is 334 pages, what are some things i can do to get tit down to like, 30, i know thatss abig diff. but i was hoping i could lower the fint as somehow hace it print twice on each page kinda like
11111 22222
11111 22222
11111 22222
thx for anyhelp

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 28 July 2006 - 08:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:15 AM

Unless it is corrupted you have to edit it and cut whatever you want to cut out of it. You can also make the font size smaller but that will only have a small effect.

Open it in whatever word processor program you use (Like Word, Word Perfect, etc)

Printing two pages is probably a result of what you are instructing your printer to do. When you click the print button you get a screen which you tell the printer how many copies of each page you want.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

Are you more concerned with the number of printed pages, or the size of the .doc file itself? The surest way for either is to edit the document as much as possible; for example, reducing the margins (top, bottom, left and right) and closing up spaces between sections or chapters.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

i must not have been clear, instead of it all on one page, i WANT it to print like this:
11111 22222
11111 22222
11111 22222
since that will make it take less paper and time to print
so how do i make it print like that

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

I am still not clear what you are try to convey with the 11111 22222 scenario. So I am going to guess that what you're asking is how to print on two sides. Meaning you want your 334 page document on 167 pieces of paper. With page one on one side and page 2 on the back side of the paper of page one. Is this correct?

If so you need to find out if the printer you are printing to has a duplex tray and allows 2 sided printing. If not you will have to manually feed each sheet in the sequence you want.

If you are trying to get a 334 page document, of 12 point font size, on just 30 sheets of paper, the font size required would be nearly impossible to read with the naked eye.

Be (2 Sided Printing) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

im trying to conveypage one and page two on teh same side or the same piece of paper in a very small font.
alomost as if you were to randomly open a book and use the same general idea

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

I'm assuming you mean printing like this:

1st sheet side one contains pages 1 and 2 side by side

1st sheet side two contains pages 3 and 4 side by side

2nd sheet side one contains pages 5 and 6 side by side

2nd sheet side two contains pages 7 and 8 side by side

and so on.

Am I right?

I'm also assuming that you want to limit the printing to 30 SHEETS of paper, which given double-sided printing and two pages per side sheet would be equivalent to 120 pages of text. This means that you will still need to do some serious editing in order to reduce the size of the manuscript as with its current length you would use 84 sheets of paper. Changing the font and margins will not reduce the text by such a large amount. You will save a few pages, but not over 200. I've written enough papers to know.

Next question: are you simply wanting to PRINT it this way, or do you want to COMPOSE it this way. The answer to this question will determine WHERE to adjust the settings: The choices are with the printing menu options alone, or a combination of document settings and the printing menu options.

The first will simply shrink the size of two of your pages to fit on one sheet, in which case I would not reduce the font to anything smaller than 12 as the entire text will be miniaturized. I'm not quite sure yet what the second will do: I need to experiment to find out, and will need to know what word processing program you are using.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

p.s. If this manuscript is to be submitted to someone, I would strongly urge you to find out if this print format will be acceptable to him/her.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users