Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with new laptop on network.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DevinH

DevinH

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

- Laptop is a GL771J
- Router/Modem is a Pace 5031NV (DSL - AT&T provided), Netgear Model GS116 port wired router. All wired devices are connected to 5031NV through the GS116.
- Workstation desktop is a Dell XPS 8700
- Total devices connected – 
Wired – 5 computers, 2 printers, 1 multi camera video system.
Wireless – 1 laptop, 4 cellphones, 2 tablets.

We recently replaced a laptop in our office and cannot get it to connect the workstation computer hosting all our files. The laptop does not even see the workstation on the network but it can see all other computers and printers that are connected. However, it does see the media folder on the workstation desktop. Also, the desktop workstation can see the laptop on the network. I have tried connecting the laptop via wired and wireless but nothing works.

The desktop computer had Bitdefender installed as antivirus/firewall. The software license was expiring so it was replaced with Webroot Secure. Webroot Secure was also added to all other network computers, including the laptop. The connection issue existed before and after installing the new antivirus software. 

All computers originally had Windows 8 but were upgraded to Windows 10.

All computers are connected to the same home group, have network discovery/file sharing on, updated drivers on network adapters.

Most computers on the network have trouble establishing the first connection to the workstation after a restart or shutdown. Once connection is established after a few attempts to access network folders, there is no issue.

This is all the information I can think of currently. Please let me know if there are any more details I should provide.

Thank you for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Devin, I believe there are issues with windows 10 and networking but no one will answer your thread or mine to verify that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users