Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my laptop but am stuck between some options. I usually try to go slightly overkill in order to somewhat future proof my purchases for a few years. I normally have access to an outlet when I use my laptop but it would always be nice to be sure it won't die if I decide to use it away from an outlet for a few hours.

Laptop or Desktop? Laptop preferably 15.6" or smaller

My budget for the new computer is: Cannot exceed $2800

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? School work, Gaming (WoW and others), Cyber Security/Pentests in Virtual Machines, Programming, Web browsing, Live streaming to twitch, etc.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? VM Ware/Virtual Box, World of Warcraft, Xsplit/OBS, Steam, Adobe Creative Suite 6, Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Visual Studio, Python, Eclipse, Teamviewer, VPN Client, Webroot Security Suite

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Yes, World of Warcraft, The Sims, Rust, Minecraft, various steam games and single player games. Considering getting back into Star Wars The Old Republic and/or Diablo 3.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I tend to have 10+ tabs open in browsers as well as sometimes multiple notepad documents. When Live streaming I have the game open, streaming software open, and Firefox with a couple tabs open.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? No, all of my media content will mostly remain on my desktop/server.

Will you be overclocking? Perhaps in the future but it is not a breaking point

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Lakeland, FL 33810

How many monitors are you planning to use? Just the Laptop monitor, maybe occasionally the TV via HDMI

Do you need peripherals? OS? No I have my own copy of OS and peripherals

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? I need a laptop that is capable of running World of Warcraft without much trouble as well as running my live stream and other games while still being fairly portable to bring to school and Starbucks.

My first option was: Lenovo Y700 Touch 15.6"

Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.50GHz)

16GB (8GBx2) PC3-17000 DDR4-2133 (2 SODIMM)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB

15.6" UHD (3840x2160) LED Backlit, IPS, Anti-Glare display, Multitouch (Slim)

1TB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm, 2.5", SATA3

512GB Solid State Drive M.2

My other option was: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1310381 I have always wanted to purchase from this company and it has much beefier performance compared to the Lenovo, however is much more expensive hitting the top of my budget.

I have already tried purchasing the Lenovo Laptop minus the hard drives considering I already have a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD and 1 TB Hitachi 7200 rpm HDD but they didn't have connections for the 2nd hdd installed so I have shipped it back for a refund. Keep in mind that the Lenovo laptop will come with a 7.5% discount and free 2 day shipping do to bad experiences previously. I just have a sour taste in my mouth now regarding Lenovo Customer service but the price is hard to beat. The Digital Storm laptop only has a ssd due to them requiring a drive in order to ship so they can run tests and I will be installing the 1 TB drive I have upon arrival.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Edited by SmokeViper07, 26 January 2016 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

Anyone have suggestions?

#3 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/Notebooks-Products/

You need lots of cooling capacity to game on a laptop. 

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

Check out Xotic PC. Specifically the Sager/Clevo brand. Just bought one of them this past September from xotic and I am extremely happy with it. You can fully customize what you want as well with them (no OS for example). The sager PCs are also a bit cheaper than that digital storm you linked to all for similar specs.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users