Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad/Slow performance after installing Bitdefender Total Security 2016

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Surreal90

Surreal90

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

Hi everyone,

Recently i have installed Bitdefender Total Security 2016, And noticed that internet browsing became very slow!, Like any page that used to "fully" load instantly or in 2 seconds, Now it would take about 15 seconds or more!, Also i noticed that the time windows take in the "Welcome" screen got way longer!, It used to be about 3 - 5 seconds now its' about 17 seconds, I'm aware that antivirus must have an impact on the performance in general, But not like that.. I googled it and found many people who've been facing the same issue, I tried almost everything mentioned in their topics and still having the same issue. So i was wondering if someone is familiar with that or know a way to fix it.

Things i tried and didn't fix the problem:

- Stopped firewall.

- Changed adapter settings.

- Disabled web protection module.

- Changed Router's DNS/PC DNS.

- Used Bitdefender removal tool/Re-downloaded/Re-installed/Repaired.

- Tried different browsers.

- http://www.bitdefender.com/support/my-internet-is-slow-1100.html

- Did a fresh windows installation!

Notes:

- Download speed is not affected.

- Websites that has SSL/HTTPS connection are slower than the ones who use the regular http/non-secure.

Edited by Surreal90, 26 January 2016 - 12:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

My small guess would be: SSL scanning is getting in the way. Disabling it might solve your issue.

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to-do-when-security-certificates-cannot-be-verified-installed-1090.html

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

Aura's answer would explain the browser slowness.

As for slower startup times...it may be taking longer for the full Internet Security Suite to load it's services and related modules. There could also be some type of pre-scan going on. Some anti-virus programs have a pre-scan for rootkits.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

Can you try installing the Antivirus Plus version of BitDefender (the one with the least functionalities) to see if the start time is reduced? BD Total Security has a lot of features so it will take longer to load.

#5 Surreal90

Surreal90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:38 AM

Thanks guys, After a couple of hours i managed to fix all of those issues i mentioned, and here is what i did to fix it (It may or may not help someone else in the future):

1- Downloaded the uninstall tool/Setup file.

2- After uninstalling was done, I restarted my PC and reinstalled it again.

3- Updated the engine.

4- Ran all scans: Quick Scan, Vulnerability Scan, System Scan.

5- Ran the Startup Optimizer: (Disabled everything but Bitdefender) and OneClick Optimizer: (Deleted all files).

6- Disabled "Block port scans in the network).

7- Adapters settings:

- Network Type is set to: (Home/Office).

- Stealth Mode: (Off).

- Generic: (On).

8- Turned off Scan SSL.

9- Deleted files in:

\AppData\Local\Temp

\Windows\Temp

\Windows\Prefetch

10- Restarted my PC.

Now everything is working smooth as it should :).

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

This is quite a lot to do just to get Bitdefender Total Security to work. The OOBE should be better but at least you got it to work, and that's what matters :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Surreal90

Surreal90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

Update: The web browsing became slow again :angry:, I'm gonna look for another setup or something.

Edited by Surreal90, 27 January 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Does Bitdefender Total Security install any plugin and/or extension in your web browser(s)? Which web browser(s) do you use? SSL scanning is still disabled?

unite_blue.png

#9 Surreal90

Surreal90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

Yup, It have installed a plugin called "Wallet", I'm using firefox, also tried opera and still getting the same results, SSL scanning still off.

Edited by Surreal90, 27 January 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Update: The web browsing became slow again :angry:, I'm gonna look for another setup or something.

Since you have to pay for Bitdefender Total Security, why not consider replacing it with Emsisoft Internet Security or just use Emsisoft Anti-Malware with Windows Firewall.

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Yup, It have installed a plugin called "Wallet", I'm using firefox, also tried opera and still getting the same results, SSL scanning still off.

If you want, before you uninstall it again, seeing that only Bitdefender is enabled on startup, I would configure a clean boot (which disables all third-party programs and services from loading on startup), restart the computer and see if your web browsers are still slow.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If they are, it means that Bitdefender Total Security is indeed the issue here (and I'm already pretty sure that it is).

unite_blue.png

#12 Surreal90

Surreal90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

Since you have to pay for Bitdefender Total Security, why not consider replacing it with Emsisoft Internet Security or just use Emsisoft Anti-Malware with Windows Firewall.

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Thanks for the suggestion mate, The thing is i already have 1 year license, So i thought i could make use of that :).

If you want, before you uninstall it again, seeing that only Bitdefender is enabled on startup, I would configure a clean boot (which disables all third-party programs and services from loading on startup), restart the computer and see if your web browsers are still slow.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If they are, it means that Bitdefender Total Security is indeed the issue here (and I'm already pretty sure that it is).

I think that Bitdefender is definitely the reason, Because every time i uninstall it while testing, things go smooth and run as it should to be.

Edited by Surreal90, 28 January 2016 - 12:41 PM.

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestion mate, The thing is i already have 1 year license, So i thought i could make use of that :).

If you already purchased one year of BDTS, can't you ask for a refund due to unsatisfactory experience? I would think a big company like BitDefender has such an option. Edit: BD does have a reputation for terrible customer support though.

Edited by Sintharius, 28 January 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

I think that Bitdefender is definitely the reason, Because every time i uninstall it while testing, things go smooth and run as it should to be.

In that case, it's good enough of a reason to change Antivirus software.

unite_blue.png

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestion mate, The thing is i already have 1 year license, So i thought i could make use of that

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users