Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a cheap way to view online movies through a TV screen?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DebbyJuneStevens

DebbyJuneStevens

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

Hi! I would like to know what is the cheapest way to make it possible to view online movies through a TV screen? And I would like to know if it is possible at all with our daughter's family's large TV they have - it is at least 10 years old. The Video ports on the TV are the RCA type. Their Toshiba (windows 7) laptop computer has the VGA type of port. They also have a DVD player connected to their TV. Can online movies be viewed by connecting a laptop computer to one's DVD player that is connected to their TV? Or is it better to just connect the laptop to the TV with an adapter with the right ends to fit the 2 ports? I am not interested in freeware claiming to make watching online movies possible. I don't trust them - they usually give me viruses.

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2016 - 11:16 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

IMO, your TV is too old. These days most folks have HD TVs that have HDMI ports and using a device like Roku, Google Chromecast or Apple TV makes what you want to do very simple. I don't know how you do this on old analog TVs. 

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:09 PM

I don't play video games, so there might be better suggestions, but my kids have a Wii to play video games, and it's plugged into a 20-year-old tv. Using the Wii and the wireless router, we've managed to watch YouTube and Netflix videos quite easily.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

You might want to consider getting movies from their cable company.  I use Comcast, and they have lots of movies you can get, many free, many for rent, some for purchase if you have a DVR.

By the way, I agree that the best way to connect a PC to a TV is via HDMI cable.  Maybe it's time for your daughter's family to get an HDTV?  Prices have come way down in the last couple of years.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 26 January 2016 - 01:22 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:04 AM

I Have a Panasonic 42" Plasma Tv and use RCA Connectors  on AV1.

Im using a WD TV Unit  Link Below { $ 150;00 au }  

I stream anything from my laptop wirelessly to the WDTV Unit and view on the tv.

Easy to setup no issues.

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31429&cPath=172&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=export_feed&gclid=CL74konO2MoCFUSTvQodPoYCzw&gclsrc=aw.ds#googlebase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users