Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus has infected all documents and encrypted with extension .micro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 paspuggie48

paspuggie48

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:52 AM

Dear All

I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help.

I've recently been infected with a virus when I inadvertently pressed the update button for Java. After that, the virus encrypted all my documents with the extension .micro on my Windows 7 system.

I've read as much about this as I can and realise the severity of this and that it is a relatively new extension? To go through all the logs on here may take some time, so I thought it would be quicker if I posted (being a new member  :welcome:  )

I tried recovering my documents from restoring previous versions, system restore etc. but all to no avail. There is no option to put my computer back to an earlier date, as there are none...I have to presume they were all removed by the virus?

There is also no way on earth am I paying the ransom. I have used Malwarebytes and successfully removed the virus, double checked with HitmanPro. I then tried to decrypt a document with Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery and Data Recovery Pro but with no luck. I also managed to delete the 100,000 txt, bmp and html files it placed in every folder and sub-folder (that took hours n hours).

I noticed in one folder there is a list of 10 new Notepad txt files, each has 4 lines with some data/code. I presume this is used by the ransomer to track payments etc? or is it vital information for decryptors?

I have some backups from previous months but there is 1 or 2 documents that are very important which were infected as the virus accessed and infiltrated my USB Memory stick. If I could only retrieve those I would be a very happy man. However, they are large excel documents with hundreds of thousands of cells of information, so one may not recover all of it.

My only hope is someone figures out a decryption solution. One other option, and this worked years back, was a friend used Hiren's Bootable CD (with some GUI searchable program, I'm not sure) and he was able to find older versions of documents somewhere hidden in the very depths of the hard drive that were overwritten weeks/months beforehand. This is all I'm after, a version that was saved the day before or week before.

Apart from the obvious decryption option, does anyone know that one can retrieve an overwritten file from the hard drive?

Regards

Paspuggie (who has learned the hard way to always make a back-up)

Edited by paspuggie48, 26 January 2016 - 06:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

You are dealing with the newest variant of TeslaCrypt which several known versions with various extensions for encrypted files such as .ecc, .ezz, .exx, .xyz, .zzz, .aaa, .abc, .ccc, .vvv as described here. Any files that are encrypted with TeslaCrypt 3.0 will have the .xxx, .ttt or .micro extension appended to the end of the filename as described in this news article.

A repository of all current knowledge regarding TeslaCrypt, Alpha Crypt and newer variants is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this topic: TeslaCrypt and Alpha Crypt Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ.

There currently is no way of decrypting TeslaCrypt 3.0 .xxx, .ttt, or .micro variants since they use a different protection/key exchange algorithm and the key for them cannot be recovered. The .xxx, .ttt and .micro variants are not supported by the current released version of TeslaViewer. If infected with any of these, backup all your encrypted files, send BloodDolly a private message with a link to few encrypted files after uploading them to SendSpace (see instructions in Post #1) and wait for solution.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance.You can also post comments in the related BC News article:Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in one of those topic discussions, particularly the last if dealing with one of the newer variants. Doing that will also ensure you receive proper assistance from our crypto malware experts since they may not see this thread. To avoid unnecessary confusion...this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users