Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to create System Image

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:31 PM

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding this error message when I tried to create a System Image using the built-in backup utility tool in Win 10?

"The requested operation could not be completed due to a virtual disk system limitation. Virtual hard disk files must be uncompressed and unencrypted and must not be sparse. (0xC03A001A)"

Normally I just backup files/folders to a networked NAS using Cobian Backup. This is the first time I tried making a system image, more so to just give it a shot, but also to prepare for a fresh Win 10 install on a new SSD. Btw, I only have one drive where everything lives (OS, programs, files) that I am trying to create an image of and I tried saving the system image to the same networked NAS.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:13 AM

You might get this error if you have placed a compressed VHD image on your SSD/HD and then you try to backup the entire drive. So how do you solve this? You can try to decompress the image, if you have enough space on the SSD/HD. Right-click the vhd, properties, uncheck compression. Option 2, Remove and place the VHD onto a different drive temporarily. A better solution is to store the VHD's onto a different partition or drive.

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

As this is my main and only drive, I have various types of files.  It's also just one big partition at this point so I guess I'm just out of luck?

Is the purpose of the system image mainly just for the OS and programs then?

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

The supplied Windows 10 (and in prior versions as well) is simply something to be avoided.  I've been using Easeus Todo Backup Free for several years, and never had any problems with it.  It's free for home use, and there are paid versions as well if you want something for a business.  There are hundreds more 3rd party programs as well, just avoid the buggy one that comes with Windows.

There's also System Restore, which isn't a replacement for full system backups, but will allow you to restore your system (but not your data) to an earlier point in time.  You can activate it in the System applet of the Control Panel.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

What exactly are VHD for? I'm not aware of any VHD files/image I have. I tried digging around to see if I can find any VHD files but didn't really see anything. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

VHD = Virtual Hard Drive. You can use the VHD image Windows creates to mount it as a virtual drive in order to browse the contents. 

I agree with Niweg. Don't use Windows System Image utility. I have used Macrium Free and Aoemi Backupper Free. Both do the job. They along with Todo Backup allow you to create a bootable disk for image restore.

#7 TheITGUI

TheITGUI

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

Because it's for virtual drives it cannot be used to reimage a regular drive. As has been mentioned you can only mount it to explore it's contents.

Btw, I only have one drive where everything lives (OS, programs, files)

I died a little inside.

#8 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

Because it's for virtual drives it cannot be used to reimage a regular drive. As has been mentioned you can only mount it to explore it's contents.

I wasn't trying to re-image anything. I was trying to figure out what VHD were due to the error I get when I tried to create a System Image using the Win 10 backup utility. As far I as know, I don't have any VHD files at all.

Also, I was under the impression that creating a System Image using the Win 10 utility will create VHD/VHDX file and that I can use that to restore should a drive fail. But you're saying that is not the case?

I died a little inside.

Files are backed up to a networked NAS so it's not as bad as it sounds. Eventually I'll be moving to an SSD for OS/programs and HDD for file storage.

#9 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

VHD = Virtual Hard Drive. You can use the VHD image Windows creates to mount it as a virtual drive in order to browse the contents. 

I agree with Niweg. Don't use Windows System Image utility. I have used Macrium Free and Aoemi Backupper Free. Both do the job. They along with Todo Backup allow you to create a bootable disk for image restore.

I'll give Macrium Free a shot, but still kinda want to figure out this error. As far as I know I don't have any VHD files.

I use Cobian right now for regular backups. Macrium should be able to do what Cobian does too right?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:09 PM

I am not familiar with Windows 10 but when I imaged a Windows 7 computer it did give me a VHD file. If I can remember correctly it gave a VHD file when I picked the C: Partition itself. This was with a Windows 7 32bit computer. I have a WIndows 7 computer with UEFI and a GPT disk. I was not able to pick certain partitions using Windows image program. It would only allow me to image the whole disk. I could not explore the image.

I gave up on Windows imaging program and use Macrium along with Aoemi.  On the UEFI computer I imaged the whole disk with Macrium. During the recovery it would allow me to recover any partition on the disk individually. It also allowed me to explore the disk image. With Macrium you simply double click the image in explorer. It will ask you what letter you want to give the virtual drive and automatically mount it. 

I am not familiar with Corbian but Macrium Free will not allow you to back up individual files/folders. That is available in the purchased program. Aoemi allows you to back up files/folders. 

#11 anderci

anderci

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

Can I turn the Virtual Disk off?  I am trying to just make a 'bootable backup'.  I find this laptop somewhat useful to test my software installations, but my wife is itching to try replacing Win10 with LINUX.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

Can I turn the Virtual Disk off?  I am trying to just make a 'bootable backup'.  I find this laptop somewhat useful to test my software installations, but my wife is itching to try replacing Win10 with LINUX.

I am not sure I understand. VHD is the file Windows System Image backup writes to the external drive. It does not affect anything when Windows is running unless you try to mount the VHD image. When you mean replace Windows 10 do you mean to wipe the disk and install linux. I would ask this question in the BC linux forum for instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users