Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gpu fails to power

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrewh1793

Andrewh1793

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

Okay so this is a long story so bear with me here. So about a year ago I built this computer myself and it's worked just fine ever since until about 2 months ago. About 2 months ago I spilled a little bit of soda on my computer in a vent on the top and it caused my whole system to fail. It wouldn't power at all so I panicked and gave up on it thinking it was just dead. And I've always thought that until about now when I started messing with it a little bit, so I took it all apart and started putting it together with just the basics to see if it still worked, and everything works except for the GPU. The computer boots up just fine and everything using the motherboard's DVI, I'm able to boot into windows and do everything that doesn't involve anything graphic intensive. But when I plug in the GPU and press power I can hear sort of an electric sound and then it just dies. And the thing will not boot after that. I looked over my entire graphics card and I didn't smell a burnt smell or anything like that. However I did notice something was broken on the graphics card. It's a little tiny metal connection that I think goes to a semiconductor. All I'm asking for is just some help to figure out if this is my problem and if maybe resoldering this could fix it. Any help is much appreciated once again thanks for bearing with me. I also attached a photo of what I think is the problem but once again I am not really sure. My graphics card is a Radeon Dual x (I don't know the exact model as I bought it from a friend for a good deal but if needed I'll do my best to provide any information), once again any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:34 AM

That is likely that way from factory, where they soldered certain sides of the IC. You can see a clump of solder there where nothing was originally there. Post a full picture of the card close up. Maybe we can spot a bad cap or something.

#3 Andrewh1793

Andrewh1793
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

Here's the card from different angles

Attached Files

#4 Andrewh1793

Andrewh1793
  • Topic Starter