Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I download pictures from Facebook safely?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aaandy

aaandy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Morning all,

I need to download some pictures into my home computer. However, I can't be 100% sure that the USB I'm using isn't infected. 99% sure, but...always that wee shred of doubt.

So my idea was this: using the USB on a different computer, I could upload the pictures into my Facebook, and then, using my home computer (the place where I want the pictures), download them from Facebook. In other words, use Facebook as the medium rather than letting the USB touch my home computer.

Would this render the pictures safe for my home computer?

Bear in mind these would all be my pictures - I'm not talking about anyone else's, of course.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:44 AM

Hi there,

Downloading pictures from Facebook should be safe, if it was done with the way you described. Malware typically do not spread via pictures unless there is some exploit, but then those are rare too.

To prevent some malware (mostly file infectors - the ones that commonly infect machines via flash drives) you can use Panda USB Vaccine to vaccinate the flash drives. Be noted that the flash drive will be formatted in the process, so make sure to get any data off the flash drive before vaccinating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users