Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 battilanaqueen

battilanaqueen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

So this afternoon I opened an email that said I was infected with so.ething and promptede to call this Microsoft Tech.
In doing so, Carol said I was infected with Trojans amd said I needed to pay to be protected amd cleaned up.
$150 for 2 computers to have Malwarebytes Pro and Syssentry.
Now, during this clean up and down load I lost connection so I called the number back. Edward insisted gaining control of my computer. In the meantime, I gained access and saw that Carol still had control. I explained to Edward she was still there and he said disconnect that she was a hacker trying to get my information.
I have no idea who to believe or what to think. All I know is I paid $150 to have this on 2 computers. I don't even know where to begin to find out if I am at risk or need to stop payment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:09 PM

Unsolicited phone calls and emails (aka Tech Support Scamming) from "so-called Support Techs" advising your computer is infected with malware has become an increasing common and prolific scam tactic over the past several years.

In the majority of these cases the scammers use social engineering to trick a victim into spending money for unnecessary technical support or to buy an application which claims to remove malware. In other cases the caller pretends to provide free security checks or direct the download and use of a bogus registry cleaner which purports to find thousands of problems, then offer to fix the computer for a fee. If the victim agrees, the support usually costs hundreds of dollars and often leaves the victim's computer unchanged or intentionally infected with dangerous malware.

Sometimes the scam tactic involves tricking their victims into believing that their computer is infected by having them look at a Windows log that shows dozens of harmless or low-level error entries. The scammer instructs their victim to type "eventvwr" in the RUN box to open Windows Event Viewer and points out all the warnings and error messages listed under the various Event Viewer categories. The scammer then attempts to scare their victims into giving them remote access to the computer in order to fix it and remove malware. More nefarious scammers will install a backdoor Trojan or Remote Access Trojan in order to steal passwords and other sensitive personal information which could then be used to access bank accounts or steal a person's identity.

The caller (or email) may claim to be an employee affiliated with Microsoft or Windows Support. However, there have been reports of scammers claiming to be affiliated with major computer manufacturers such as Hewlett Packard, Lenovo and Dell or familiar security vendors like Symantec, Panda and McAfee.

Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls or send unsolicited email messages to request personal or financial information or to fix your computer.

Not answering any questions and hanging up the telephone is the best way to deal with phone scammers...then report them to the appropriate authorities.

If you want a check of your system for possible malware, especially if they had remote access, you should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users