Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dualboot 10 and 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

Hi all,I think there is a topic on this but I can't seem to find it.I upgraded to 10 about 2 months ago.I want to dual boot with 8.1.I have always dual booted with os's but from earlier versions to newer ones.I

have not done it with newer versions installed first.Can someone give me some advice.I have a dell and

I can boot from CD by tapping F12,it gives me that option.I also know how to create a seperate partition.What I don't know is how it will boot after installation and what options it will give me.I have used EasyBCD before so will I have to use it again,thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

Try this:  http://www.groovypost.com/howto/dual-boot-windows-10-other-versions-windows/

I haven't done a dual boot since the days of XP!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

I have two desktops set up with multiple boot of Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10.  The preferred way is to start with the oldest first, but if you want to add 8.1 to an existing system with 10, you'll need to do some finagling.  There are 3rd party programs for doing this, but I've never used them.  What I do is to add an additional partition at the end (i.e. past the win 10 & 8.1 partitions), and just reinstall a minimal copy of Win 10 in it after installing the 8.1 partition.  That will fix up the ability to multiple boot all 3, and you can go to the System applet and change the default boot sequence like you want it.  It doesn't take that long just to install the minimal Win 10 (well under an hour), and after you've gotten things set up like you want it, you can delete that 3rd partition and get the space back.  By the way it doesn't have to be more than 30 GB.  The minimal 10 install only ends up using about 14 GB.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 26 January 2016 - 12:37 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

Thanx guys for the help,will give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users