Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Not sure what to name your computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

Stumbled upon this site today. You can browse, see the top names, or view a random name. Pretty cool. I usually just name my computer something like "example", "example.computer", or "my-pc".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

In my little home network, each unit has an owner and a primary use (something it does better than the others) are reflected in the assigned network user name. Like Joe-printer or Becky-scan.  Others can be more descriptive or not, just so the users within the network know where  to do each job, locate a printout, or send a fax.

#3 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:56 PM

Mine is just called Thomas HP witch is my first name and the brand of computer I have.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:20 PM

All named after characters in The Matrix :thumbup2:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 cynical_guy

cynical_guy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

I'm an odd guy I reckon', I named mine "retard".  :)

Link posted by "hollowface" redirected me to http://www.yourcareeverywhere.com

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

The link was to computernamer.com which is now a parked domain. Even the twitter account has been inactive since 2010 with one RIP Steve Jobs in 2011.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

One of my computers is named "Problem Chid" another that I got at a garage sale is named "Foundling"

Hard drives and USB drives are named after characters in literature and the authors who created them.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

I currently have a client who has their servers named after the reindeer.  Large operations use abbreviated  names  and numbers as rooms and floor designations.  Multi-level networks often have numbers to start to help designate particular levels of security.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users