Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Primary Master Drive Fails.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Infecteduser05784956

Infecteduser05784956

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

I have a old computer in which I need to recover files from and when in the process of running Mini Tool I got a blue screen and shut the computer off.  The blue screen also happened yesterday and we were still able to reboot. Now when the screen pops up in black it provides me information pertaining to the disk such as

Diskette Drive A : 1.44M, 3.5in                               Serial Port(s)      :3F8

Diskette Drive B : None                                          Parallel Port(s)    :378

Pri. Master Disk : None                                           DRAM Type        :DDR SDRAM

Pri. Slave Disk : None                                             SPD On Module(s)    : Yes

Sec. Master Disk : CD-Rom, UDMA 2

Sec. Slave Disk : None

then it shows device listing and so on and after that at the bottom a few seconds after it says

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

After that I press ALT, CTRL, DEL and it provides me with this information

****ward Medallion BIOS v6.0, An Energy Star Ally

Copryright © 1984-2002, Award Software, INC.

Asus A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1014 Beta 002

**ward Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A

***itialize Plug and Play Cards

**P Init Completed

Dectecting Primary Slave None

Dectecting Secodry Master...... TSSTcoprCD/DVDW TS-H552U

Decting Secondary Slave ...... None

Primary Master Drive Fails.

Press F1 to continue, Del To enter setup

After that I enter Del and I am in BIOS I believe and when set to Auto it detects the name of the hard drive which is ...... Currently it does not even take me back to the second screen so I cannot verify the disk name I can though verify that five minutes ago it did recognize the drive in BIOS once I changed from Auto to HDD and When I switched back to Auto it did not allow me to go back to BIOS through the other screen.

Now about this computer it was in the hands of someone else and I did eventually find out that they stole and deleted some of my files. When I booted the computer up I noticed there was two different drives a C: Drive and a E: Drive. The C: Drive had about 37GB and the E: about 147GB, I do not know the reason for there being to different drives, it could be to attempt to make it difficult to recover files or because we were networking the computer. 

Also there is a disc stuck in the CPU in which I cannot eject. I tried through Windows and the CPU. Any help is appreciated and please do note that there are files in which are important and I am trying to recover.

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2016 - 11:20 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

If BIOS does not detect the drive  then you will never be able to use software to recover the data on that computer. It may be drive failure. Can you remove the drive and attach it to another computer? If not then you would need to attach it to another computer using a USB adapter or enclosure.

If the drive is still not detected using the adapter or enclosure then you would need to use a professional data recovery service that is expensive. 

If this is a desktop then pull the power, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Open the case and touch bare metal. Make sure the data and power cables to the drive and motherboard are securely connected. 

You may want to try resetting the BIOS. Pull the CMOS battery and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. They may also be a jumper to clear CMOS. This is if you have a desktop. What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 Infecteduser05784956

Infecteduser05784956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

If BIOS does not detect the drive  then you will never be able to use software to recover the data on that computer. It may be drive failure. Can you remove the drive and attach it to another computer? If not then you would need to attach it to another computer using a USB adapter or enclosure.

If the drive is still not detected using the adapter or enclosure then you would need to use a professional data recovery service that is expensive. 

If this is a desktop then pull the power, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Open the case and touch bare metal. Make sure the data and power cables to the drive and motherboard are securely connected. 

You may want to try resetting the BIOS. Pull the CMOS battery and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. They may also be a jumper to clear CMOS. This is if you have a desktop. What is the make and model of the computer?

I can't verify the make and model it seems to be enclosed in a custom casing. This is the only thing that I saw from the computer boot screen Asus A7V8X-X . Also BIOS did dectect the hard drive when I was able to get into BIOS it is just that I am unable to now. Should I still move the hard drive to a new computer? Also will I still be able to retain the data if moved to a different computer? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

Can you boot a CD disk in this computer?  If so then download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso file to disk. Boot the CD. See this guide. You can attach a USB flash or external drive and copy the contents from the hard drive to the flash or external drive.

If it does not see your hard drive you will need to pull it. Pull the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Touch bare metal of the case before pulling the drive and avoid touching the printed circuit board on the drive. 

If the file system is not corrupted and the hard drive functions then the data will be intact and you can use a USB external enclosure or adapter to pull the data.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

MiniTool Power Data Recovery [along with its external boot utility], free version, may be useful here; it can recover what is recoverable up to 1GB, for more than 1GB - pay-for version is needed.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Infecteduser05784956

Infecteduser05784956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

MiniTool Power Data Recovery [along with its external boot utility], free version, may be useful here; it can recover what is recoverable up to 1GB, for more than 1GB - pay-for version is needed.

Can you boot a CD disk in this computer?  If so then download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso file to disk. Boot the CD. See this guide. You can attach a USB flash or external drive and copy the contents from the hard drive to the flash or external drive.

If it does not see your hard drive you will need to pull it. Pull the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Touch bare metal of the case before pulling the drive and avoid touching the printed circuit board on the drive. 

If the file system is not corrupted and the hard drive functions then the data will be intact and you can use a USB external enclosure or adapter to pull the data.

I am unable to open the CD drive at the moment also I am finding it difficult to transfer the hard drive to a new computer. Here are some pictures of how the hard drive looks.

Attached Files

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

It's a Maxtor IDE. You cannot attach it to a modern computer that does not have an IDE port on the MB. You can purchase an IDE enclosure or a USB adapter like this. But, if the drive has completely failed you need a professional data recovery service. 

Edit: There is a way to connect to a computer without an IDE port but it requires using an adapter. The USB option is much easier.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 February 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#8 Infecteduser05784956

Infecteduser05784956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:03 PM

It's a Maxtor IDE. You cannot attach it to a modern computer that does not have an IDE port on the MB. You can purchase an IDE enclosure or a USB adapter like this. But, if the drive has completely failed you need a professional data recovery service. 

Edit: There is a way to connect to a computer without an IDE port but it requires using an adapter. The USB option is much easier.

I bought the USB adapter I will be waiting for delivery.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

Hopefully you can pull data from the drive. Good Luck.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

There is a way to get a CD out of a stuck drive. If you look carefully at the front of the CD/DVD unit you should see a small - very small - hole.

With the computer switched OFF, take a paperclip and straighten it, the push it carefully STRAIGHT into this hole. You will eventually feel some resistance, push against this and you should get some sort of 'click', that's the lock coming off. If the drawer doesn't pop out a little so you get get a fingernail under it to pull it all the way out, try easing it out with a nail file or very thin screwdriver, but be gentle !

Chris Cosgrove

#11 Infecteduser05784956

Infecteduser05784956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Can I recover data while using a USB adapter? It seems to me like I wont be able to as I cannot even open up the software.

Hopefully you can pull data from the drive. Good Luck.

It pulls data just not the data that I need as I need to recover and be able to use programs.

Also where it grabs the power from the hard drive it seems to be going bad. I have to move the power adapter plugged in on the HDD side and hold it in a specific position so that it may recognize the HDD.

Edited by Infecteduser05784956, 09 February 2016 - 03:12 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

You will not be able to recover "Programs", only data on the drive. Minitools Data Recovery can be used to recover data that has been deleted. You can install it on another computer and scan the drive attached to the USB adapter. Do not install programs to the Maxtor drive. Do not recover data back to the Maxtor or any other data can be overwritten and you will lose it. 

#13 Infecteduser05784956

Infecteduser05784956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:21 PM

You will not be able to recover "Programs", only data on the drive. Minitools Data Recovery can be used to recover data that has been deleted. You can install it on another computer and scan the drive attached to the USB adapter. Do not install programs to the Maxtor drive. Do not recover data back to the Maxtor or any other data can be overwritten and you will lose it. 

Are you sure this will work since the file locations will have a different name to it such as :F and not the local C: ?

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

MiniTool will "demand" a target media, can be a usb stick.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 Infecteduser05784956

Infecteduser05784956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:10 PM

MiniTool will "demand" a target media, can be a usb stick.

It can't run the tool properly as the HDD does not remain identifiable long enough. When I hold the HDD whenever it goes in and out of recognition it seems to be hitting something inside of it as it starts vibrating harder as if hitting something or as if it is misaligned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users