Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting OS on USB 3.0 flashdrive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

I'm looking to put my OS and related files on a 32Gb flash drive as a SSD isn't in the budget right now. All the HDD I've got are SATA 3.0GB/s. I see that USB3.0 lists a maximum bandwidth of 5Gb/s.

I also like the fact I could disconnect the USB drive and the system would be unbootable to anyone who didn't know where the drive was(at least somewhat).

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

First things first...assuming you get this to work (and it isn't easy), it will be incredibly slow.  Your SATA hard drives would be much faster.

So, if you still want to do this, then the answer as to whether it can be done is, sort of, as long as you want Windows 8.

Windows 8 Enterprise has a feature called "Windows To Go" that lets you do what you want (but unless you get a bootleg copy, you can't buy it for individual use). 

You can, with further work, use Windows 7 to build a portable Windows 8 from any version of Windows 8 (as long as you have the Windows 8 install disk).

You'll still need other tools to get it all working as well. 

It requires creating partitions on your USB drive, which you usually can't do using Windows tools...you'll need something like Bootice to create partitions.

And, after a long of time of issues, errors and having to do it all over a few times until you get it to work, you'll be sorely disappointed at how slow it is.

Did I mention it will be slow?

#3 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

I'd suggest to create a bootable USB as a backup for the system. That's what we usually use a USB for. If the system gets crashed, you can use the USB to restore it. Macrium reflect free and Easeus todo backup free can make you a free bootable USB.

#4 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

I don't understand why it would be slow.

So the general consensous is I should be putting the OS on one of the HDD I'll be installing.?

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

#5 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

Just because USB 3.0 has a theoretical throughput of up to 5GB/s doesn't mean it will achieve that, especially when used as a primary drive.  Even SATA III SSD drives are only hitting throughputs if around 525 MB/s.

Although the USB thumb drive runs on the SATA bus like your hard drive, the hard drive has caching and a controller designed for the purpose.  That isn't present on your USB thumb drive.

The truth is, properly implemented (and there are a number of tools you can get and methods to create this USB bootable, portable Windows), aren't so slow they are unusable, but even on a fast thumb drive you get a lot of micro freezing and that gets worse as the page file grows in size.

If you need to tote around your desktop and apps, for say, Office or the like, it's actually kind of cool (just beware you have to go through driver set up on each new PC you use it on), but to use on your main PC, you are better off using the hard drives.

#6 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

Got the idea.

I've got the OS installed on a 250Gb Seagate drive. I may put something on the Flashdrive so I can try it to see the difference.

#7 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

Nothing wrong with trying it.  Trying new things is good...expands your knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users