Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything played through headphones sounds "underwater".

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zorbi

zorbi

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

I don't know how better to describe it than that. All audio on my computer, when played through a headset, sounds off. Either it has a faint "underwater" sound or some other distortions. Voices will be too quiet and echo, while background audio will be loud and jarring. I've used several different headsets, and tested them on different devices, and they seem to look fine. I've used them directly in the computer's audio out, which I thought was the problem, but I've also tried using USB headphones, and using my phone and it's USB as a third party. And even odder, things seem to sound fine when played through the computer's speakers. I could be wrong about that one and just not noticing, but it seems alright.

I'm on an Acer Aspire 7551, and this sound issue seems new. Like I said, I thought the issue was the port, and that could be an unrelated problem, but it's even giving me trouble through USB ports which are fine otherwise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

Did the headset come with software or drivers on a disk?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 zorbi

zorbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

The headset isn't the issue. No, it didn't.

But I've been using this primary headset for years before this problem. I get the same problem with different headsets.

#4 zorbi

zorbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

I have a temporary solution that I don't like, but maybe it will offer some insight for anyone who will know what my problem is?

Like I said, speakers work fine, no problem.

When using headphones, I can make it bearable by going into playback devices' options, and adjusting the balance entirely left or right, and turning the other to zero. Regardless if I have it to left or right, there's no more echo or distortion. Obviously the downside here is that when sound is played through the channel that I have muted... I don't hear it. (ex. http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php right now I'm set to 18 left, 0 right, so under the "Wiring" section on this page, I can't hear anything when the "right" button is pressed).

Any help would be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users