Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to build a PC for physics simulations, need help choosing proc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MalayAmok

MalayAmok

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

Hello guys,

I was wondering if I could get some help. As the title states, I want to get myself a new rig for simulating complex physical phenomena. I'm going to re-use some parts of my old PC, and buy some new ones. I'm planning on spending most of my money on the processor. The codes I use run in parallel, so I'd like to have at least 8 physical cores in my PC. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an intel Xeon (maybe you can suggest something else). The question is, which one? There are tons of options out there! Bottom line is, I want the most bang for my buck, I don't need to pay extra just to have that extra 4% more that the very best model gives me.  I consider spending 1000$ to 1500$ on the cpu alone.

I guess another question is whether I should get several chipsets of few cores, or maybe just one with many cores (seems more reasonable since I plan on running OPENMP code on it).

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Cheers!

:D

Edited by MalayAmok, 25 January 2016 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:19 PM

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80644e52660v3
Ram? Mobo?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler