Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ipod Nano And Quicktime

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

Just purchased an iPod Nano for a young family member. When he is at my home
he wants to be able to access iTunes.
QuickTime comes bundled with iTunes, can I un-install it and use
QuickTime Alternative instead? Or is it to late?
Unfortunantly I was not present when the installation of iTunes was done. :thumbsup:
I really do not want QuickTime on my comp at all!!

One more thing. Now all of my music files that were in my Windows Media Player
are now in QuickTime!
How do I get them back in my Windows Media Player?

Edited by Scarlett, 28 July 2006 - 08:03 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hi Scarlett , it should come with a warning like you are about to install AOL. It's a hog and a pest. It was bad enough w/o Quick time. Here's an install guide from Smart Computing it's a lot but it's how I tamed it on my kids PC. They are not allowed to put ITunes on mine. As it scans your whole PC and keeps taking all audio files it handles. But you can control it . Probably best to uninstall it then re after reading this and using your options.

Keep in mind that although iTunes claims it will only scan your My Music folder, we found that it actually scans your entire hard drive. This means it may add audio files from video games and other sources to your iTunes Library. For this reason, you may want to add files to your Library manually.

Although iTunes won't play WMA files, it will search your hard drive for unprotected WMA files and automatically convert them to an iTunes-compatible AAC format. Your original WMA files are unchanged. Please note that this feature won’t work on protected WMA files you’ve purchased from other music services.

How To Install & Configure iTunes
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

Wow thanks Boop!
When I un-install iTunes where will my music files go then?
Posted Image

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:12 AM

Your welcome

They should be back where they started. It's a matter of not letting itunes not be default anything, If I remember correctly. Just check them that they're not .aac files(ipod only files) or something now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:04 AM

Un-installed both iTunes and QuickTime.

Now does anyone know if I can install iTunes without QuickTime?
And use QuickTime Alternative instead?
Posted Image

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:43 AM

NO ..itunes is not stand alone.. (like I said AOL Plague)
Try this
if you install QuickTime alternative 1.63 first then install itunes when doing this itunes will skip the Quicktime install if it sees that Quicktime is all ready installed

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for all of your help Boop! But as it stands there is no
need now to install any iTunes or quicktime junk. :thumbsup:

Because....

A funny thing happened today.
Well I can laugh now, or at least breathe a sigh of relief.
I was washing some laundry and somehow forgot to check all
pockets. :flowers:

Guess what the iPod was in a pair of shorts, and they both went through
a full wash cycle. :inlove:

Panic overwelmed me! I was shaking with fear, I can tell you!
$200 down the drain literally!
Was going to let it set for a good 24 hrs to see if it would still work.
Read online that there was at least one dude that lucked out doing the same.

But we....swallowed our pride and phoned WalMart, and they said we had 15 days
to return it. :trumpet: Told the whole truth too, admitting that it was now squeaky clean.
It was only two days old so....we took it back and came out ahead, by buying a cheaper
gift (the boy was all for it) and are $100 richer than we were when we woke up today!

:cool:

Edited by Scarlett, 29 July 2006 - 03:44 PM.

Posted Image

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

No problem :thumbsup: ...Glad to see it worked out. Not as bad as throwing the baby out with the bathwater,but sheeesh. :flowers: It always all comes out in the wash. Good that you've washed your hands of that one and caught a clean break. See that... honesty is the best policy. :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users