Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Win 7 x64 will not update

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

I have a Lenovo SL410 with 6gb of RAM. I did a reinstall of WIN 7 64 bit with SP1. Everything installed uneventfully. However, since then I can't update. I let it sit "checking for updates" overnight. I forgot to make changes to the power options so it may have hibernated and done nothing. I have run various patches, troubeshooter and fixits to no avail. I have let it sit for 1 to 2 hours each time and still have not gotten a list of updates available. I changed the settings so it would let me choose thinking it would just generate a list quicker. Still no luck.

I have a solid 13+ mbps connection and have tried wired and wireless. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Edited by RamblingBarba, 25 January 2016 - 04:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

This is a known problem for Windows 7 clean installs. Microsoft did something to their update servers, possibly giving priority to Windows 10. The only thing I can recommend is to download IE11. From Microsoft, security updates are no longer given to Windows 7 if IE11 is not installed. You may also want to download the latest Windows 7 update agent

Even then it may take at least a couple of hours to see your updates.

#3 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the input JohnC_21. I hadn't seen anything on IE11 and Win7 yet. I have installed it and went ahead and installed the update agent from the link as well. It is "checking" now. I still have it set to let me decide which updates to download and install. I have found that if I leave it automated that it will fail from the large number/size of the updates. Hopefully that will do it.

Thanks

#4 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

I let it check for updates for 3 hrs and still nothing. I decided to let it just run through the night. This morning it had an error message: 80072ee2. I then ran the troubleshooter and got: Service registration is missing or corrupt- Not Fixed.

Any more ideas? Thanks.

Edited by RamblingBarba, 26 January 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

Try the following fixit. Also make sure Bits (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is enabled and started in services. Set the updates to notify me when updates are ready but do not install. 

#6 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

BITS is running and that Fixit was for installing/uninstalling programs. It asked me to identify whether it was an install/uninstall problem and the program with the problem. I don't mind running it but I'm not sure how to answer the problem. I haven't even gotten an update list generated. I have run the troubleshooter several times. If it shows a problem "Not Fixed" and I look at the details it doesn't reflect it as "Not Fixed." I ran it on BITS and on Windows Update. I just ran it back to back. Once on BITS and Once on Update. This is the first time both came up all fixed. I made the change to allow the updates to be downloaded  me but let chose what to install. Now I'm hitting check updates again.

Edited by RamblingBarba, 26 January 2016 - 12:28 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

If you do a sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt does it notify you that it has fixed any errors? You can also use this fixit but I am not sure it will help.

#8 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

I ran sfc /scannow this AM and it found/fixed nothing. I'll try the other fixit. Thanks for the help.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

If the fixit does not work the only thing left I can think of is to download and run the Update Readiness Tool. If you do not not manually do the updates by forcing a check Windows may show the updates in the System Tray after a time. This happened to me when XP reached end of life. I could not do manual updates for some reason but the updates eventually showed in the System Tray.

#10 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

I am not sure if it was the last fixit or the readiness tool but I've got a list. I am about 75 updates in and everything seems to be installing fine. Thanks a ton for the help. Now only 165 more.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

Make sure you only do Security Updates or you will get Windows 10 eventually.

#12 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

Thanks so much for the reminder. Do you remember which one of these updates has the offer to reserve etc? I don't see the actually windows 10 in the list. The total list isn't big enough.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

There are a number of updates that are listed as important that will give you Windows 10. Just remember to not download important updates. 

Here is a list of updates to avoid.

In update settings uncheck the box for Giving Recommended updates the same way I receive Important Updates. After getting all your Security Updates install GWX Control panel which will keep Windows 10 from downloading.

Edit: For Important updates you can check what each does and if it pertains to you or not. For example there was an important update for Windwos 7 that concerned the Russian Ruble. I did not download that.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 January 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#14 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

AH! I spoke to soon. I got updates loaded and have hit an impasse. I have tried all of the previous suggestions and the updates continue to fail. The latest fail came with these three error codes: 800B0100   80070490   8024200D

Any other suggestions? Thanks

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

I will have to investigate this tomorrow or somebody else on the forum may have some ideas. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users