Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External USB Drive Unintstalls/Reinstalls Spontaneously

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AZBeagle

AZBeagle

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

This is a Dell Inspiron 531 with an AMD Athlon+ 64 Dual Core 3GHz processor, running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 4 GB of DDR memory.  Connected is a Western Digital Fantom WD5000AAVS-00ZTB USB hard drive.  About a week ago the Fantom drive started spontaneously uninstalling and then reinstalling a few seconds later.  It happens uncommanded multiple times per day.  Usually its no problem, just a nuisance, but for the past 3 days it has apparently happened during my daily backup, which starts at 1:00AM, resulting in a backup failure that I had to do manually during the day.  Today, during the manual backup the drive disconnected/reconnected during the manual backup, which I had to try 3 times before I got a good backup.

I did a CHKDSK with the /f option and it found no errors on the Fantom drive.  I checked the drive in Device Manager and it said it was operating normally.  Checked for an updated driver and it said I'm using the most current driver.  I ran Dell hardware diagnostics and it found no error.

So what might cause this to happen?  Is the drive going bad and the system can't detect it, or is there some tweak I need to do to Windows to prevent it from happening, or could it be something else?  I'd appreciate any input on this.  Thanks.  By the way, the drive has uninstalled/reinstalled 3 times while I was typing this post. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

I guess the most obvious question is have tried another USB port or cable? If you move the cable very slightly at the computer or drive does it connect and disconnect.

#3 AZBeagle

AZBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

I hadn't checked the cable, but when I did move it very slightly at the computer and drive it didn't disconnect/reconnect.  I did notice though that the USB drive it was not directly connected to the PC.  Instead it was connected through a USB hub to the computer.  There's nothing else plugged into the hub, so I removed it and now the Fantom drive is directly connected to the PC. 

I'll post again if it continues to happen.  Thanks.

#4 AZBeagle

AZBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

It just happened again, so it's not the USB hub.  I don't have another USB cable to try.  The one that came with the drive has a standard flat USB plug on the end plugged into the PC, but at the drive end it is a square plug, with a bevel on 2 corners for plugging it in correctly.  Is it worth buying a new cable to try, or is there something else I can do first to rule out the drive being bad, or a Windows problem?  For now, I'll plug it into a different USB port on the PC and see what happens.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

If another usb port, if another cable makes no difference over all,

maybe it's time to run some WD-provided [downloaded]  hardware diagnostics on that ext HD?

Edited by RolandJS, 25 January 2016 - 04:58 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:19 PM

That is a standard USB type A male to type B male cable. It could be the USB bridge card on the external that is starting to fail. The first thing I would do is backup any data on that drive even if you need to use the cloud.

#7 AZBeagle

AZBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:08 PM

I'll see if I can find some WD diagnostics and run them.  Currently moving all critical data on the drive to another USB external drive.  Then I guess I'll see what Fry's or Costco has on sale as a replacement.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:13 PM

If you use that same cable on the other external, if it fits, does it do the same thing? That would confirm if it was the cable.

#9 AZBeagle

AZBeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

The other external has a different interface cable.  The end that connects to the drive doesn't fit in the port on the Fantom, so I can't try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users