Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet connection after upgrade to win 10.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gayler

gayler

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

Father in law did the update and now no internat. Any ideas how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

This is a know problem with Windows 10 depending on the chipset. Is this a Ethernet or Wireless problem? Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to Network Controller in Device Manager? If there is right click the device, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 gayler

gayler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Ethernet and wireless. In the lower left corner there is an exclamation mark saying unidentified network, no internet access. Its a HP not sure of the model. Please forgive my lack of knoledge, my computer is still running xp! How do I find network controler an device manager?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

In Windows 10, type Device Manager in the Search Box. Look through the list for any device with a yellow exclamation mark. So, both Ethernet and Wireless are not functioning on the HP?

#5 gayler

gayler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

In device manager there are no exclamation marks. Both wireless and ethernet are not working.It shows that wi-fi is on and lists my network with full signal and no internet

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

The only thing I can think of is to make sure airplane mode is not enabled. Hopefully somebody else with more Windows 10 experience than me has some other ideas. I thought it could possible be a driver issue but with both Ethernet and Wireless not functioning it is probably something deeper.

Have you tried rebooting the computer?

#7 gayler

gayler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Airplane mode in not enabled and it has been rebooted many times.If I go through the HP diagnostice it shows possible root causes as no preferred networks in range, I know this is not it. No network detected, thats not it, Protocol bindings are incorrect. What does Protocol binding incorrect (906) mean?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

I am not sure but doing a google search shows a lot of people with the same Windows 10 problem.

Press the Windows key + X and select command prompt (as admin)

Type the following commands. Press Enter after each command and then reboot. I would create a System Restore Point first. 

netsh winsock reset catalog 
netsh int ip reset reset.log 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users