Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC locks up while playing demanding games - BSOD once

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Torpedo499

Torpedo499

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

Hello, 

I built my computer in November of last year and for some reason it locks up while playing intense games such as Star Wars Battlefront and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. The odd thing is, it never locked up while playing Fallout 4.

I have run memory tests including the windows built in memory checker and mem86+, both came out clean and without errors. I had tested for errors in my hard drive, both of them (an SSD and HDD) have came up without errors. My system is not overclocked in any way and has efficient cooling. 

Crashes only happen about 1-2 hours into gaming and result in my having to restart my computer by holding down the power button. One time i got the blue screen CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and was so frustrated that I refreshed windows and only installed essential programs/games. I have a suspicion that it may be my audio driver because there is not an official release for windows 10 for the Plantronics Gamescom 780, but i'm not quite sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:15 AM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Torpedo499

Torpedo499
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

Hello, 

Thank you for the reply. I have uploaded the files below. I have two monitors and my secondary one is dedicated to task manager and HWMonitor (I keep both open at all times to monitor temps and computer activity)

I hope the information provided is useful. 

Attached Files

#4 Torpedo499

Torpedo499
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

Hello, 

Thank you for the reply. I have uploaded the files below. I have two monitors and my secondary one is dedicated to task manager and HWMonitor (I keep both open at all times to monitor temps and computer activity)

I hope the information provided is useful. 

Crash just happened while playing a game and I see Event viewer has a ton of new errors. I'll upload the latest Admin.zip.

Edit: I ran Driver Verifier on Windows 10 and my computer was thrown into boot loops with the DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION blue screen. I have updated the result files.

Attached Files

Edited by Torpedo499, 26 January 2016 - 03:17 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

The drivers for this device aren't installed.  Please visit the motherboard manufacturer's support site to download and install the drivers for this device:

Ethernet Controller    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&SUBSYS_86721043&REV_31\3&11583659&0&FE    The drivers for this device are not installed.

The Driver Verifier enabled memory dumps blame bcmwl63a.sys - a driver component of your Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter wireless device.

Please turn Driver Verifier off, as it's done it's job.  To do this, open up verifier.exe and select "Delete existing settings", then click on "Finish" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

Then:

- please download a fresh copy of the latest, W10 drivers for your Broadcom based device from the manufacturer's website

- then uninstall the current drivers using Control Panel...Programs and Features

- then install the freshly downloaded drivers

- then monitor for further BSOD's

Analysis:
The following is for informational purposes only.

**************************Tue Jan 26 15:01:57.359 2016 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\012616-2890-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 10586 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Built by: 10586.63.amd64fre.th2_release.160104-1513
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:04.056
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for bcmwl63a.sys
Probably caused by : bcmwl63a.sys ( bcmwl63a+16584 )
BugCheck C4, {2000, fffff801e6bf6584, 0, 41777442}
BugCheck Info: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4)
DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4)
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000002000, Code Integrity Issue: The caller specified an executable pool type. (Expected: NonPagedPoolNx)
Arg2: fffff801e6bf6584, The address in the driver's code where the error was detected.
Arg3: 0000000000000000, Pool Type.
Arg4: 0000000041777442, Pool Tag (if provided).
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xc4_2000
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0xc4_2000_VRF_bcmwl63a!Unknown_Function
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
**************************Tue Jan 26 14:55:36.518 2016 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\012616-2937-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 10586 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Built by: 10586.63.amd64fre.th2_release.160104-1513
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:02.215
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for bcmwl63a.sys
Probably caused by : bcmwl63a.sys ( bcmwl63a+16584 )
BugCheck C4, {2000, fffff801c0ff6584, 0, 41777442}
BugCheck Info: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4)
DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4)
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000002000, Code Integrity Issue: The caller specified an executable pool type. (Expected: NonPagedPoolNx)
Arg2: fffff801c0ff6584, The address in the driver's code where the error was detected.
Arg3: 0000000000000000, Pool Type.
Arg4: 0000000041777442, Pool Tag (if provided).
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xc4_2000
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0xc4_2000_VRF_bcmwl63a!Unknown_Function
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only.

**************************Tue Jan 26 15:01:57.359 2016 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
bcmwl63a.sys                Thu Feb  6 04:57:28 2014 (52F35C88)
TeeDriverW8x64.sys          Mon Aug 31 15:49:07 2015 (55E4AFB3)
ssdevfactory.sys            Thu Sep 24 21:12:39 2015 (56049F87)
intelppm.sys                Thu Oct 29 22:09:51 2015 (5632D16F)
nvlddmkm.sys                Mon Jan 11 01:53:04 2016 (56935150)
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=bcmwl63a.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=TeeDriverW8x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ssdevfactory.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvlddmkm.sys

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Torpedo499

Torpedo499
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

Thank you for the help.

The number of hotfixes for Windows was low because I reinstalled the operating system a few days ago. I installed the latest Ethernet driver from my motherboard manufacturer's website and also reinstalled my network adapter driver which was already the latest release.

I will run some tests on games and get back to you. 

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:57 AM

The point of uninstalling the network driver before installing the fresh copy is to remove any corruptions that may be present.

Good luck!

#8 Torpedo499

Torpedo499
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

The point of uninstalling the network driver before installing the fresh copy is to remove any corruptions that may be present.

Good luck!

Sad to say that my computer still crashes in games resulting in a forced shutdown.

#9 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

I don't know what to say but there are just some configurations that I guess that are not for windows 10.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#10 Torpedo499

Torpedo499
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

So CPU-Z and task manager says my CPU frequency is at 3.9 GHz.

My motherboard says the speed is stock at 3.5 GHz.

The speed changes based on my power settings. Any input on this?

Attached Files

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

Intel i5 and i7 processors are capable of autooverclocking.
Don't worry about this unless you are knowingly overclocking

#12 Torpedo499

Torpedo499
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Intel i5 and i7 processors are capable of autooverclocking.
Don't worry about this unless you are knowingly overclocking

Then i'm stumped. I have no idea what would be causing this problem (I thought maybe I should bump up the voltage because it self-overclocked to 3.9)

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

Do you still have BSOD's - if so, please zip up the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and upload it with your next post.
If unable to zip it up there, try copying it to your Desktop and zipping it up there.

Is it still locking up? Are there any steps that I suggested that you haven't done?  Please reread the posts to double check.

Another suggestion would be to try a wired connection to see if it causes the same problems (and disabling the wireless)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users