Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10/Office to new SSD and Storage Space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Not sure if this is the correct place for the following help I'm looking for as it's somewhat of a hybrid Win7 / Win 10 questions, so if it needs to moved to the appropriate section, please feel free.

Anyway, I'm planning on upgrading my storage from a single 500 GB HDD to a 240GB SSD + 2x 1TB HDD. OS and programs will go in the SSD and am wanting to use the HDD in a RAID 1/mirror set-up. I've been doing some reading and I think I know the direction I want to go, but I still have a few questions and need to confirm some things. Also feedback on possibly doing it a different/better way would be appreciated.

It's a pretty basic system, but if it matters, these are what I am running now

• CPU: Intel i3 2100
  • Motherboard: ASRock Z68
  • RAM: Kingston 2x 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
  • OS: Windows OS 7 Home Premium -> upgraded to Win 10 Home

Basic OS install to SSD

Installing an OS to an SSD I assume should be similar to installing to a HDD right?  Just run the install media and follow the prompts?  Does it need to be formatted a certain way? Are there diff. types of format I need to know/consider?

License Transfer - OS
Right now I'm running Win 10 Home, which was a free upgrade from Win 7 Home.  I don't want to clone as I want to do a fresh install of the OS and I'm still debating on whether to go back to Win 7 or stick with Win 10. If I go back to Win 7, I should just be able to put in the Win 7 install CD and enter the product key like I did when I first installed Win 7 right?  Does it matter that I have Win 10 now on this computer?

If sticking with Win 10, I have even more question as I think they have changed some of the activation process. From what I can understand, I should be able to create a Win 10 install media so I don't have to go through Win 7 first and then do the upgrade again. As for the license, supposedly Win 10 now registers your hardware when you first install it so you no longer need to enter a product key. However, will that still work if you changed hard drive? If not, will I be able to just use my Win 7 product key instead?

License Transfer - MS Office Home
For MS Office 2010, is there a procedure to deactivate the license and use it to another computer/hard drive? Or do I simply just install it to the new hard drive? Also, since I got this from MS Home Use Program (HUP), I didn't actually get a physical disk and I don't think I saved the file I originally downloaded (but I do have the product key written down). So what is my best course of action to install Office again?

RAID 1/Mirror set-up
I understand that RAID 1/mirroring is not a substitute for proper back-up! With that now out of the way, this where I could probably use the most feedback/guidance.

From the little reading I have done, my main takeaway so far is that unless I'm going to spend $$ on a proper hardware RAID card/controller, then go with software RAID instead of motherboard/chipset RAID.

Since it appears that only Win 7 Pro supports software RAID 1/Mirror and I only have Win 7 Home, what are my other options if I want to go back to Win 7?

In Win 10, Storage Space Two-way mirror appears to be what I'm looking for. I just stumbled into this so I still have some more reading to do as I'm not clear on the storage pool vs storage space and why you can have a diff. size than what you currently have available. As for how it works, I still need to clarify the following:

• Data will be on both drives so if one breaks or I remove one of them, I should still be able operate as normal until I can put a new drive in there?
  • Once the new drive is in, will it automatically sync with the drive that is on there now (i.e. data will be copied to the new drive automatically)?
  • Since storage space allows the use of different hard drive capacity, even with two-way mirror, I should be able to upgrade to 2x 2TB drives later as long as I replace it one at a time right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:13 AM

Way too complicated for me to answer.  In short, I think that it'll work, but can't certain without actually trying it.

The activation process should allow for some leeway in the construction of the system.  I suspect that Microsoft has built in that sort of flexibility - but that's just supposition on my part.

My suggestion is to first read this:  http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-and-installation-faq-we-figured-out-who-pays-and-who-doesnt

Then to do a clean install of W10 on your SSD and see if you can activate it.

Also, from the Command Prompt, type slmrg /xpr and press Enter - after a moment you'll get a little window that opens.  It'll tell you if the system is permanently activated (that the machine specs and activation are on Microsoft's servers).

If that's the case:

Make sure that you're connected to the internet (use a wired connection) while installing the clean install

Then, skip entering the product code (the first time it asks you) and then tell it to do it later the second time it asks you.

Once you boot into W10 after that, check the activation - it should have automagically activated it for you.

If not, then attempt to active it on your own.

Then again, check the slmrg /xpr to be sure that the system is still permanently activated.

IMO RAID unnecessarily complicates things.
I suggest a simple, automated backup plan.

If you're really concerned about data safety, then backup twice - either to different devices, or to the cloud

Backup plans need to consider:

- hardware failure of that component

- failure of the facility where the system is (a fire, earthquake, etc)

- failure of the region (in the case of large scale disasters)

- failure of the country (if the country is destabilized, what's going to happen to your data)

- failure of the earth.

And then the point is how important is this data - and to what expense are you willing to go.
For example, my wife's office is backed up locally.

In case the building burns down, we've been backing up to my home and have also started cloud backups

But if the home and the office are both destroyed, we probably won't need the data - as she'll likely be out of business anyway.

So further backups are an unnecessary expense.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

When I tried slmrg /xpr in the command prompt, it is says that "slmrg is not recognized as an internal or eternal command, operable program or batch file"

If I look in Activation under Update & Security, it states that Windows is activated and Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement.

As far as back-up, I'm already doing that just to local networked NAS. Main reason for RAID/mirror is for convenience should something happen to one of the drives. Reading more about Storage Space, it seems like it's the way to go as it sounds easier/simpler to set-up compared to RAID.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:13 PM

I think at the command prompt you want

slmgr.vbs /xpr

I think you would get some better info using

slmgr.vbs /dlv

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn502540.aspx