Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to upgrade my system... need a little guidance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sabineh

Sabineh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

Hi all,

I am NOT a techy or computer geek at all... I just use my desktop to cruise the net and also for a 3D rendering  design type program (an old one), quickbooks, etc.

For the past 15 years I have just continuously pieced together my PC... replacing components as they fail. I have a *relativley* new processor and video card- AMD quad core 3600MHhz processor (is that ancient?) and Ndivia geforce 9400. I also replaced my power source and cooling fans within the last year or so.

I am still running Vista home premium. I think it is a 32 bit system.?

I have not upgraded ram in a looonnggg time. Also, I need to upgrade my memory. my hard drive is TINY.

I do not need top of the line high performance. I just want to improve.. ;-)

I was thinking of adding a 2T internal hard drive and getting some more ram. Currently I only have 3 GB.

Do I need to upgrade my OS as well? I am fine with Vista... however I do plan to download sketchup... Not sure if they will be compatible?

Any advice would be helpful :-) THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ljohnson588

ljohnson588

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

First go to this website, http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner and download this tool so it can scan your computer. It will tell you what your computer has as well how much RAM your motherboard will support. As far as your hard drive is concerned, if you upgrade it you will have to do a reinstall unless you clone your current hard drive. There is information all over the web on how to clone a hard drive, this site is one of them http://www.techradar.com/us/how-to/computing-components/storage/how-to-move-your-operating-system-to-another-hard-drive-1296831 .

Edited by ljohnson588, 25 January 2016 - 02:03 PM.

#3 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:03 AM

Hi all,

I am NOT a techy or computer geek at all... I just use my desktop to cruise the net and also for a 3D rendering  design type program (an old one), quickbooks, etc.

For the past 15 years I have just continuously pieced together my PC... replacing components as they fail. I have a *relativley* new processor and video card- AMD quad core 3600MHhz processor (is that ancient?) and Ndivia geforce 9400. I also replaced my power source and cooling fans within the last year or so.

I am still running Vista home premium. I think it is a 32 bit system.?

I have not upgraded ram in a looonnggg time. Also, I need to upgrade my memory. my hard drive is TINY.

I do not need top of the line high performance. I just want to improve.. ;-)

I was thinking of adding a 2T internal hard drive and getting some more ram. Currently I only have 3 GB.

Do I need to upgrade my OS as well? I am fine with Vista... however I do plan to download sketchup... Not sure if they will be compatible?

Any advice would be helpful :-) THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Sketchup minimum specs http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/36208

Recommended hardware

• 2+ GHz processor.
  • 8+ GB RAM.
  • 500 MB of available hard-disk space.
  • 3D class Video Card with 1 GB of memory or higher. Please ensure that the video card driver supports OpenGL version 2.0 or higher and up to date

I think you will need a new machine including 64 bit OS, Vista might not work with larger HDD 2TB and up and sketchup 

You could probably reuse fans and power source but your budget will determine the parts

#4 Sabineh

Sabineh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

I think you will need a new machine including 64 bit OS, Vista might not work with larger HDD 2TB and up and sketchup 

You could probably reuse fans and power source but your budget will determine the parts

Thank you!

Instead of cloning my C drive, can't I just add an additional hard drive to expand? sorry if that is a dumb question!

Can I keep my current processor and just get additional ram., upgrade video card and uprgrade my OS?

Edited by Sabineh, 26 January 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#5 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

I don't really know your specs but since its 15yrs old I say its time for a new build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q3kT8d

$380

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users