Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost my DVD drive/burner

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

OK, 2 days before I upgraded to Windows10 my DVD was working. I know because I was burning disc's. After I upgraded, I now only have 1 DVD drive instead of the 2 I had before. I went into my BIOS and it only see's the one drive. 

I've never heard of an operating system that could cause the BIOS to 'not see' a drive. Is that possible? I put a new SATA cable on and that made no difference. Or is it just a coincidence that my mobo no longer see's it? I really don't want to uninstall 10 just to find out, it takes to long to put it on...

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

shouldnt take more than 15 minutes to reinstall win 10. That's not long.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

I don't think the Windows 10 install had anything to do with it if the burner is no longer detected in UEFi/BIOS.

Some computers with UEFI, if you have it, allows one to disable and enable individual SATA ports. If you reset UEFI/BIOS does it detect the burner? You should also be able to reset it using a jumper on the motherboard.

Does changing the SATA port of the burner help? Check the cable connections at the burner and motherboard. Swap the power and data cables from the know good drive and see if the drive is detected in UEFI/BIOS. If you do this pull the power, hold the power button down for 30 seconds, then touch some bare metal on the case.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:22 PM

bruinator, maybe you're right, but it took over 2 hours to install the first time.

JohnC, I went into the BIOS and there is no UEFI. I swapped the ports on the 2 drives and the port that was working still worked with the second drive. The original non working port did not work with the 1st drive.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:40 AM

Each version of Windows has increased the interaction between the OS and the BIOS/UEFI.

While it was still in flux with W8, W8.1 and W10 rely heavily on interaction with the BIOS/UEFI

This is such an important thing that the techbench tool asks that you update the BIOS/UEFI prior to doing the update.

At work we now update the BIOS/UEFI on all systems as a part of finishing our repairs.

In short, yes the OS can change things in the BIOS/UEFI.

As an example, setting the Date and Time in W10 can change the time in the BIOS/UEFI

This is not a 100% true statement - as this hasn't been universally adopted by all manufacturer's

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

Each version of Windows has increased the interaction between the OS and the BIOS/UEFI.

While it was still in flux with W8, W8.1 and W10 rely heavily on interaction with the BIOS/UEFI

This is such an important thing that the techbench tool asks that you update the BIOS/UEFI prior to doing the update.

At work we now update the BIOS/UEFI on all systems as a part of finishing our repairs.

In short, yes the OS can change things in the BIOS/UEFI.

As an example, setting the Date and Time in W10 can change the time in the BIOS/UEFI

This is not a 100% true statement - as this hasn't been universally adopted by all manufacturer's

Thanks for this but at the same time it's kind of scary that the OS can change BIOS/UEFI. Does this mean malware can modify the OS to change UEFI?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

I would think so, at least in theory - but I'm not a malware expert.  It's better to address this over in the General security forums where those experts hang out.  Here's a link:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/45/general-security/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

I guess it is possible.

http://techrights.org/2013/06/24/nsa-and-uefi/

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

It sounds like you've replaced a CD/DVD drive before, based on your 2 hour comment.  If so, you know there're just 2 cables and 4 screws involved.  The time consuming part could come from what else you have to remove & reinstall in order to get to that drive.  Most of us don't burn discs that often, so I'd consider an external USB CD/DVD drive.  They are available for as little as $20 US.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

Update.

I gave up, went back to Windows 7. Lordy lordy, both my DVD drives are there!

There is something wrong with this country, (government) that an OS can change a BIOS like that without any permissions. :nono: So, long story short, I'll stick with 7 until the sleazy b######s force me to change. :busy:

Go Broncos!

Ronald Reagan

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

Glad you finally got it sorted out. Stick with Windows 7. Your hardware and Windows 10 do not agree about something. If you want to keep Windows 10 off the computer then install GWX control panel.

#12 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:48 AM

Thanks JohnC. Now I'm having trouble with the update, it keeps telling me to restart my computer to finish the updates. I downloaded the GWX control panel and went through it. Hopefully it will stop the update notice. I think it's notifying me about 10.

Ronald Reagan

#13 kolecki

kolecki

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

1. Open Registry Editor and go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\

2. Create a new key Controller0 under atapi key.

3. Select the new Controller0 key and in right-side pane, create new DWORD EnumDevice1 and set its value to 1

3. Close Registry Editor and restart your system.

That's it. Now you'll be able to see your CD/DVD drive in My Computer window.

#14 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:53 AM

Still can't get rid of the update notice. No new updates are being downloaded. It won't look for new updates until I restart and finish the updates, you know, the ones that aren't there..

Geez I hate Microsoft!!

Ronald Reagan

#15 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

What I do to get rid of that GWX message is to boot Linux and rename all instances of GWX.EXE.  That stops the message AND Windows Update doesn't try to reload it because it looks like that KB3035583 is still installed.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users