Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install old IDE HDD in newer PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CFinIndy

CFinIndy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

I have an old Quantum Fireball ST 6.4GB hard drive that I would like to install in my Dell XPS410, mainly to recover data.  The only IDE connector on the motherboard is for the floppy drive.  Can I disconnect the cable from the floppy and use it to connect the HDD? Or am I better off ordering some sort of IDE to USB adapter?  Running Win 7 on the PC if that makes any difference.  Any advice is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

I'd go with the external IDE to USB enclosure.  6.4 GB is awfully small these days, so I hope you don't run into compatibility problems.  It's worth a try.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

You can use a USB IDE adapter I have used one like this for recovering data from multiple drives. 

#4 ljohnson588

ljohnson588

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

If the adapter in the previous post doesn't work for you try this one http://www.amazon.com/USB-Cable-Adapter-2-5-Inch-3-5-Inch/dp/B000I0VIYE

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:50 PM

The exteral enclosures they sell these days come with both IDE and SATA/PATA connectors.  Recovered hundreds of drives from users dead machines and they moved up to the next level.  Size shouldn't matter, when all else fails try the command prompt to look at it and move files.  6.4 is pretty small, I have one from the last generation of the original Pentium with WIN95 and it's only 4 GB.

#6 CFinIndy

CFinIndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone.  The adapter seems to be the simplest and most cost effective solution, so I'll be ordering one shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users