Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios only sees my boot HD when I unplug everything else

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:48 AM

Hi Guys

As of just after Xmas my Win7 Pro 64 bit Desktop PC, ASUS Bios, stopped seeing my boot drive, unless I enter the Bios and click on it? The problem doesn't lie with the battery because the date, time and everything else is correct.

I have two SATA drives, one is the boot drive the other is the backup. The first thing I did was to unplug the backup drive. It still couldn't see it, so I unplugged the DVD. It now boots normally. So I re-plugged the DVD  and once again it wouldn't boot. I entered the bios and saw that it had put the DVD player first. So I swapped them over, so that the boot drive was first, clicked on save and reset and the PC booted. I thought sorted. But the next time I switched on my PC it prompted me to enter the bios, where I could see that the boot was how I'd left it with the boot drive first in line then the DVD. I clicked on the boot drive and the PC booted straight away.

So how it stands now is to have it boot every time (without intervention from me) nothing else can be plugged in.    

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2016 - 07:32 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Suggestion:

Make sure that the drives are matched to the ports on the motherboard

boot - port 1

next - port 2

etc.

then pull the CMOS battery for a minute with ALL power removed

reinstall battery, reconnect power, boot system

workaround:

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

free for private use, easy, stable, I recommend it

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:58 AM

Hi Dicke

"Make sure that the drives are matched to the ports on the motherboard

boot - port 1

next - port 2

etc."

I've changed and swapped the leads in every configuration I could think of but it makes no difference. On the Mother Board there are four Ports for the drives. Their layout is as follows...

2        1

4         3

The DVD drive is in 'Port 3' (and always has been). The Boot drive on the other hand has been in both 1 & 2. But neither position makes any difference to which drive the PC boots on.

I got in touch with the manufacturer of the Boot Drive and they told me to download a test programme and run it, which I did. It tells me that the drive is working correctly and there is nothing wrong with it.  

In the ASUS Bios 'EZ Mode' I've set the boot to run in this order...

Boot Drive, followed by DVD Drive

But when I enter the 'Advanced Mode, Boot Option Priorities' both Boot Options are set as...

Boot Option 1: DVD Drive, Boot Drive

Boot Option 2: DVD Drive, Boot Drive

My dilemma here is how do I change the 'BO1 & BO2' set-up's. When the only option I can see is 'Disable'

I've downloaded your 'workaround' but sadly it won't work on my PC. I installed, uninstalled, re-installed and re-booted but to no avail.

Edited by Graphicool1, 26 January 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

Sorry that Easy BCD doesn't work for you. Keeps me from going over the edge with 3 bootable drives present.

My CD/DVD drive is first but the system passes over if when there's no disk in the drive. 

I'm out of suggestions right now, maybe after coffee I'll be able to think

Dick

Dick E

#5 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:26 AM

I'm a bit surprised that no-one else has chipped in with a suggestion or two?

After you said that about the disk in the drive, I had a quick look. just in case. But no, there's no disk. I guess I'll just have to bide my time and hope that your coffee does the trick.

I'm sorry to say that all coffee is for me is a hot drink, as I take it caffeine free. Caffeine doesn't agree with me.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

It doesn't always agree with me but it does help to get these old brain cells functioning.

Dick E

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

I would replace the CMOS battery witn a new one.  Then try to boot into BIOS...set all default settings, save, F10.

Louis

#8 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:49 AM

Hi Louis

Thanx for your input, but if it was the battery causing the problem, would the clock and date still be correct?

You are not to know but, to do that I would have to get a battery. If I lived in a town it would no doubt be that easy. There are no shops anywhere near where I live that would stock such an item. My nearest shop that would is too far for me to walk to. I don't drive and there are no buses or trains. The cost of a taxi, to take me to the town, and bring me back, would cost more than I'm willing to pay for a £1 battery.

I could order one on line from eBay, However, if it's 'Post Free' it means it's 'Second Class' post. Which will take a week to a week and a half, before I receive it.

Apart from all that, I don't know about your PC, but all the PC's I have ever owned always has the battery located in a hard to get to position. This PC is no exception. To be able to replace the battery I would first have to remove my graphics card, then the Arctic Freezer-X-treme cooling unit. Which, I can assure you, having wrestled it in there in the first place, is no mean task and not to be undertaken lightly.

If no-one else suggests anything that I can try now (and it works), I'll probably just leave things the way they are.

Cheers Guys

#9 Agentspade

Agentspade

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

You didn't happen to install Windows 7 with both HDDs connected at the same time, did you? Sometimes the bootloader will get written to the second drive.

Have you tried to flash your BIOS? Is there a new BIOS?

Edited by Agentspade, 27 January 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#10 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:04 AM

Hi Agentspade

"You didn't happen to install Windows 7 with both HDDs connected at the same time, did you?"

No I didn't, But even if I had, that wouldn't stop it booting from the Boot Drive when only the Boot Drive and the DVD Drive were connected.

No I haven't tried updating the BIOS, either by flashing or otherwise. But yes there is an update available.

However, I just need someone whose familiar with an ASUS BIOS to either tell me or point me to a video (YouTube). That explains how to reset the 'Boot Option Priorities' in the 'ASUS BIOS' in 'Advanced Mode'. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

Do you have a model number of the ASUS motherboard?

These links may help

http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/110539/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1692951/set-boot-priority-asus-bios.html

#12 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:19 AM

Hi JohnC_21

Yes, here it is...

P8H61-M LE/USB3

Thanx for the links, I've been checking them out. I'll post tomorrow whether they succeed or not.

Edited by Graphicool1, 29 January 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#13 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:34 AM

Hi Guys

Sorry I've been so long getting back with an update. But I've had to put my PC problems on the back burner for awhile. As other, more pressing and more important problems have been making inroads into my life. Firstly, my roof has sprung a leak and it's repair is going to set me back £800.

Further to that, (if that wasn't bad enough) my father-in-law had a relatively minor accident. He caught his ankle on the side of a low drawer. It wouldn't have been too bad, (but there were complications) namely, he has varicose veins, of which he nicked one. What with the volume of blood and the stress of having to wait 45 minutes for an ambulance, he then had a stroke.

However, I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that he is rallying and seemingly making an amazing recovery.

I've also bee upgrading my wifes Laptop from Vista to Win7 and as I type this I am noticing that it telling me that the product key I typed is invalid for activation.

But I think you can see and understand when I say that neither my time or mind (till now) has been my own of late and apparently still isn't!..

Getting back to my PC problems, I checked out the links  left by 'JohnC_21'. Small, unobtrusive tweaks in the BIOS. If only that was as easy as it sounds. When my PC is running ok, it's cruises along like a well oiled machine, gently purring with contentment. But if anything, no matter how small and insignificant should rock it's boat. Let's say I need to get a new mouse, keyboard or monitor then all hell breaks loose. It's like toothache waking a sleeping baby, you just don't want to be there. So it is with my PC, it starts chucking it's toys out of it's pram.  

So it was with tweaking the BIOS...I Booted the PC and American Megatrends says...

"There's no keyboard connected, press 'F1' to enter BIOS"???!!

How can I possibly press 'F1' if it doesn't see or recognize the keyboard. I switched it off and on again, this time I was greeted with a fanfare of...

"1 Long Beep and 3 Short Ones"

Thank you, very nice, but I've no intention of stripping out your innards, to get to the battery, ram and or graphics card. Changing them round switching the PC on and off then on again. Only to be told that something else isn't connected etc, because you are having a meltdown and a tantrum. Just get over it.

Yes, I do talk to my PC from time to time and myself, frequently, much to the consternation of the cat.

Anyway, what I did was to swap the Hard Drive leads over, but still keeping the Boot HD connected to #1 position on the MoBo. I then added the other HD and another keyboard back into the mix, which means that there are now two Keyboard's connected. I figured it's got to see one. Then I booted it again and it saw both keyboards and prompted me to enter the BIOS. Where upon I noted that my Boot Drive is now at the top of the list in both Boot Options. Yet it still isn't booting into Windows?? 

But do you know what, I don't think I care anymore, life's too short and getting shorter by the second.

Thanx for your suggestions guys.

If anyone can come up with something, other than what already been mooted, I'd be happy to give it a look

Cheers and bye for now 'The Crazy Clown'

Edited by Graphicool1, 04 February 2016 - 05:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users