Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD without minidumps when playing a game.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 forgotmyname00

forgotmyname00

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:45 AM

Hey. I have this (now oldish) PC that I play a games on from time to time. The rig is following:

• AMD FX4100
  • Radeon 6850HD
  • 2x4GB RAM
  • Corsair 500W PSU
  • Some old 320gb HDD because the previous one failed (doesn't want to spin up, maybe can someone can link me some guide if it's possible to make the dish spin up at least once so I can copy stuff)
  • some miniATX Asus mobo, don't remember the exact name now.
  • 64bit Win 8.1 Pro

The issue is following:

I play a couple of games, I'll use League of Legends and Cities Skylines as example:

When I Cities: Skylines the game will run fine up until a moment the game decides to freeze and after a while I get a blue screen without any information, MINIDUMP IS NOT SAVED, the config for dumps is working because it does save a dump for a manually intiated crash. When I play LoL the game just works fine and I can play all day without a BSoD.

There was one BSOD where it showed "page fault in nonpaged area" but there was no dump anyway. I thought about the following issues:

• Just because Cities is a game which gradually increases the amount of RAM load and League loads all assets and it doesn't increase over time that much I thought it might be a HDD or RAM issues (thus the page fault). I ran chkdsk at boot and memtest86 but the computer passed both tests. (the disk has a couple of badsectors but it has been like this since always).
  • Overheating GPU - the PC doesn't crash on League, gotta run benchmarks or OCCT to check that one again
  • GPU driver issue - reinstalled the drivers but it did nothing
  • PSU failure - ran OCCT PSU test for 2 hours but nothing happened, dunno if there is other way to test this
  • General GPU failure - don't know how to test this, I don't have a different GPU to check nor a different PC
  • CPU overclock issue - had those overclock settings for ages and nothing happened before, might consider resetting bios settings
  • I'm considering reinstalling OS to check if it gives different results because the issues appeared after last reformat.

I searched online if it's possible to restore the "retro" style BSOD but the tutorial that told me to insert a DWORD into currentcontrolset/crashcontrol didn't work.

After last BSOD I checked the Event Log and right before the crash it threw a fair amount of "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0." - can I throw my HDD away or it can be a software issue as well?

EDIT: Searched the board a bit, running sfc

EDIT2: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but is unable to fix them. Eeeew

EDIT3: Latest BSOD gave me a Kernel Data Inpage Error.

Edited by forgotmyname00, 25 January 2016 - 07:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stipl3x

Stipl3x

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

I know it might not be the best answer

But from what I have read I can say that it might be a problem with the hdd, especially if it's old

Or I think it could be the windows..I think that if you have installed it for a year or more, a reinstall would be a good try

Hope it's not a late answer ;)

#3 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

If the hard drive has bad sectors, I would definitely replace it. This is the sign of a failing hard drive, and it will only get worse with time and use. If there are not many bad sectors, you can try cloning the drive to save the re-install efforts, but it could carry over any existing problems as well; cloning a failing drive is not always guaranteed to work. Replacing the hard drive and starting from scratch with a full re-install would be the best course of action. You should backup any data you have now while the drive is still working and readable.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:48 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users