Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert M4a To Mp3?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millsarrr1

millsarrr1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

I'm running XP and windows media player 9. I downloaded some music files from utorrent and some of them were in m4a. Whats the best way to get these to play on wmp9?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:24 AM

Hi millsarrr1.
m4a is the audio format used in mp4 (mpeg4) audio\video files.
Up until fairly recently, they didn't separate the two extensions.
If you have the MP4 codecs installed, WMP9 can play it, it just doesn't recognize the file extension.
Simply renaming the extension to mp4 may be all you need to do.
If you don't have the mp4 codecs, download and install the "3ivx D4" package from here.
Alternatively, you could use a different player as well.
Whatever you do, I wouldn't convert them. m4a is far superior to mp3. :thumbsup:

#3 millsarrr1

millsarrr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

Thanks HitSquad. I tried renaming the file extensions but the files still wouldn't play on wmp9. I downloaded 3ivx D4 and was able to play them. I tried to burn these files to CD but wmp9 gave an error. Is there any way to burn these files with wmp9 or do I need another media player? If a new media player is needed which one would you recommend. Also, on the freecodecs download page you could download a 3ivx D4 - mirror. What is that? Once again, thanks for your time and help.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:01 PM

You didn't mention in your first post you wanted to burn them as well. :thumbsup:
This changes things and for the sake of universal playback, conversion is your only good option.
If it were me, I'd record them to .wav and then burn to cd. It gives you the best quality audio that will play in any cd player, including your vehicle if it is not mp3 playback capable.
If you prefer to use mp3 for reduction in file size, you could use AltoMP3 (it's freeware).
"mirror" is just an alternative download site for the same codecs.

Edited by HitSquad, 29 July 2006 - 06:30 PM.

#5 millsarrr1

millsarrr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the help HitSquad. I downloaded itunes and was able to burn the m4a files to cd.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

I thought about suggesting that as an option but iTunes has a reputation for causing conflicts with other burning sofware. I didn't want to get you into that.
Oh well, if you're happy, I'm happy. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users