Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

refurbished computers on display show message, "Copy of Windows is not genuine".

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:50 PM

This question could be for the Windows 10 board, or for the Questions & Advice for Buying New Computer board.

Many running REFURBISHED display computers in the computer department of a big consumer electronics store had a desktop message saying, "Copy of Windows is not genuine".  My question is, if someone buys such a computer  (most  of them running either Windows 7 or Windows 10), what must the new user/owner do to make the copy of Windows be genuine?  Exactly what is the process, in detail?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

It depends on what's causing the error.

If it's a glitch with the system, the seller should fix it before sellling.

If the software is indeed not genuine, then someone has to purchase another copy of Windows.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

Strange.  Where is this store?

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

It depends on what's causing the error.

If it's a glitch with the system, the seller should fix it before sellling.

If the software is indeed not genuine, then someone has to purchase another copy of Windows.

usasma has very clearly detailed all of the logical fixes to this situation.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

What kind of half-assed seller, would even have such computers on display.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

Strange.  Where is this store?

What kind of ... seller, would even have such computers on display.

Fry's and BestBuy

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

Stranger yet.  I would think twice before buying one.

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

Agouti,

Thanks, probably the best advice.  I will have to ask them about that message and what the store can do about that before making any purchase. 

Easy enough to find some lower-priced new computer, but the idea of getting something refurbished means, save some money.  I've already seen some online articles about the advantages of refurbished.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:58 AM

Both shops shouldn't have computers with illegal software.

Both shops are usually reputable and wouldn't sell illegal software

Notify management, or notify their headquarters.

Before purchasing from either shop, they should make the OS legitimate for you.

If not, contact the manufacturer's and ask them why those shops are selling their product with illegal software.

Regardless, DO NOT purchase a system that says it's illegal.

Best case is that you'll have to have someone figure out how to fix it for you.

Most likely is that you'll have to get recovery media from the manufacturer in order to restore a legitimate copy of Windows

Worst case is that you'll have to provide up to $200 (US) to purchase a legitimate copy of Windows

Just a thought - if it says it's not activated, simply insist upon activation prior to purchase

Activation is a bit different from counterfeit or illegal software

At work we check every system (that we work on) for activation as a part of the repair process

If not activated (happens rarely), we activate it.  If unable to activate it, we break the news to the customer and make suggestions on how to get activated.

The problem here is that, once you purchase it, the legal agreement regarding the OS is between Microsoft/the OEM and you.

Part of the agreement states that OEM's will provide support for Windows (not Microsoft) if they sell you a computer with an OEM copy of Windows on it.

If you purchase a retail copy of Windows, then the support burden falls on them.

BUT what they provide as support is very simple. 

For most OEM's, their idea of support (for Windows) is to reinstall using their recovery media.

This wipes out everything on the computer and sets it back to factory specs.

If that fails, then they look into hardware diagnostics/repairs.

Edited by usasma, 26 January 2016 - 06:06 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users