Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I check monitor resolution?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 laakdown

laakdown

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

Bought a Dell 30" monitor online, it said the resolution was 2600 * 1600 but I can't get anything above 1200 * 800 from my laptops. I think it's because the laptops are not powerful enough but I want to make sure I didn't get scammed on the monitor resolution before I buy a new pic.

So how do I check what is the max resolution of my monitor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:19 AM

What model is it?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 laakdown

laakdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:00 AM

It was this one bought from here
http://www.lazada.com.my/refurbished-dell-300wfpt-30-lcd-widescreen-monitor-midnight-black-4393484.html

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:20 AM

http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/general/ultrasharp%203007wfp-hc_en.pdf

Up to 2560 x 1600 (WQXGA Widescreen Format)

"Note: for WQXGA resolution, customer's PC must have a dual-link DVI graphics card that supports 2560x1600 resolution."

So unless your laptops have Dual-Link DVI outputs, your suspicion would be correct that they lack the capability to drive the monitor.

#5 laakdown

laakdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:51 AM

Ok good thanks for your reply. . Showing it was a laptop I had to use a hdmi to dvi-d converter so maybe that was the problem. Or it could be the graphics card, either way I guess I need a new computer.

So you think it's pretty unlikely having bought that monitor I got sent one that's only 1200 * 800 and they just lied on the description?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

I doubt if any 30" monitor screen is made that is only 1200 x 800 native resolution. Even if there was, it's unfeasible that such an oddity could be retrofitted to a monitor expecting its screen to be 2560 x 1200. So considering that unless a converter specifically claims dual-link DVI capability, it's unlikely to be other than single, and the result of this is normally that restriction, everything points to that being the cause.

e.g.: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201927

The most likely way to be able to prove for sure is to get to try the monitor on a system with dual-link DVI on a good video card.

Depending on the HDMI version and video chipset in the laptops, even with a dual-link DVA converter, it still might not be possible to reach the full resolution, or not at the correct scan frequency.

Edited by Platypus, 25 January 2016 - 07:27 AM.

#7 laakdown

laakdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:02 AM

Thanks a lot for your replies before. Got so bored or having this huge monitor I couldn't use I went and bought a whole new desktop pc but it still doesn't work and I'm so annoyed.
New PC specs are 8gb ram, 3 TB hard drive, i5 3.2mhz chip and a NVIDIA® GeForce™ 730 2GB GDDR3 graphics card which I checked can handle a max resolution if 2600 * 1600.
I then connected the monitor to the PC using a DVI-D cable

Native resolution came in at 1200 * 800 but unlike before the 2600 * 1600 option was there. I clicked it and clicked apply and the display just disappeared, with green lines coming down the screen. The same occurred with every resolution above 1200 * 800.

Most likely explanation for this? Dud monitor? So sick of trying every option and none working!

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

Try right clicking your desktop and clicking nvidia control panel. From there should be monitor settings. If your laptop has a 1200 by 800 screen and you clone displays the second monitor will stay at that resolution.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:17 AM

using a DVI-D cable

Definitely dual-link?

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

DVI-DL is NOT compatible with laptops. If you are trying to drive a monitor of that resolution with a laptop you are going to be disappointed.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

I went and bought a whole new desktop pc

#12 laakdown

laakdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

Definetly dual link I bought a new cable to be sure

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

It's starting to look like the monitor must have a problem - being refurbished, it may still have a faulty scaler. Is it still in the 90 day warranty period?

Probably the only further check you could do is to find another computer somewhere with dual-link DVI and that can run that resolution or approaching, and try it on that. Got any gamer friends?

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:46 AM

Definetly dual link I bought a new cable to be sure

At today's promos for monitors, like on Newegg, we can't show promo codes, you need to subscribe for these, there's little reason to be stuck with a refurbished monitor that's not working properly. Just because the seller says they're 'refurbished' doesn't mean anything within itself, could have simply been cleaned up, power tested & repackaged for sale. There's lots of scammers in the refurbished markets, and the only way to hope to get the good ones is through seller feedback. 

While I do purchased some refurbished equipment, including the very PC I'm creating this post on, will always check seller Feedback, the absence of any raises a red flag to me from the go. 

One of the few refurbished items I've not purchased is a monitor & never will, and that's because sites sell new ones at great pricing on promo & have two unused that were gifted to me. A monitor consists of many delicate components, even if otherwise good, rough handling during shipment can cause something to be thrown out of whack. The inverter is one major component that'll can go bad, can be replaced for as little as $20, yet there goes taking shots in the dark. 

There was a valid reason why the previous owner didn't want the monitor, unfortunately consumers normally doesn't get the privilege of speaking with the former owner (unless private sale), and too often when it comes down to the nitty gritty, these are used components that's not truly refurbished (same with HDD's). This would involve running diagnostic tests that only can be done with the OEM's approved software for the purpose, followed by a cleaning inside out, and one other thing, some has external PSU's, like that of a notebook, that plugs into a small slot, these can be faulty. 

Just my opinion & will leave it up to you what do do. Get you money back while you can, if used PayPal or credit card for the purchase, you have rights, and get a new monitor with a full 2-3 year warranty. A 24" that runs at 1080p (1920x1080 in my case) is better than a 30" that can't deliver as promised. 

And please, while I doubt you'll likely get another refurbished monitor, don't forget what my message was, seller feedback means more than ever when purchasing any refurbished product. I've had good success because I've always checked for this, was told to long ago when purchasing from eBay vendors. 

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 laakdown

laakdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. Had a technician come round today, he thinks it's because the graphics card can't support high resolution through DviD. Seems strange as I got NVIDIA® GeForce™ 730 2GB GDDR3a graphics card which says it can supports 2600* 1600 but won't buy the new one until he shows it works so no harm.

If that doesn't work I guess I'll get another new monitor and try to get a refund on this one

Thanks for the replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users