Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommended "Industrial Strength" Browsing History Deletion Tools?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AnalogKid2112

AnalogKid2112

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the BC forums but i can say that i have been following the website and the forums for many years and sincerely appreciate all the amazing insight and advice that this community and its admins have provided. Your collective advice and wisdom has helped me resolve countless PC related issues, so thanks to all for that. Here is something else i hope you can help me with. With each passing year i somehow become more and more paranoid (probably with good reason) as to who and what is tracking my browsing habits and what tidbits of history remain in the browser itself and in various places on my HD both in obvious and more hidden places. I am using Windows 8 and the latest version of Firefox and i do realize that FF is set to "private browsing" and " do not remember history" but i also know that certain online browsing "foot prints" are still stored on my HD and in the registry, despite the efforts of FF "private browsing" and even using Ccleaner and other cleaners to "clean browsing history". There is always some stuff left behind that the default FF settings and Ccleaner just don't get. I've been searching for and reading reviews on many many "true system scrubbers" that "truly" delete all browsing history from all browsers and in all nooks and crannies on my HD and registry. However almost all of these utilities only seem to cover one aspect or another, with no one program seeming to be a full suite of tools addressing ALL areas of privacy, both online, in browser, potential residuals on the HD and in the registry. I'm not looking to get into "forensic" tools or anything but in my job i connect to a lot of customers/suppliers and government websites through VPN and other website connections and i don't ever want to potentially be compromised in a way that compromises those other points. Also, on a personal level, i just want to know that no one has the right to compromise my own personal privacy to enjoy my own browsing experience. So i will now apologize for the lengthy first post and narrow it down to: Can someone please suggest if some "perfect" all-in-one mega-tool of PC privacy utopia exists? A utility or suite of programs that gives maximum privacy to my online usage plus the best guarantee of rooting out and securely deleting at my option, the history and "hidden history" of my browsing experience both in the browser / hard drive / registry? A FULL CLEAN in an all-in-one package?

Again, sorry for the long message and i would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks to all.

AK2112

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

One can use Wise Disk Cleaner's Common Cleaner -- the 2 Surf The Internet sections -- to remove browsing history and anything else related.  WARNING:  Do NOT use anything else within Wise Disk Cleaner except for what I mentioned above.  ** Going beyond Common Cleaner can and will cause more grief than joy. **

[I have used Advanced Cleaner, however, since doing it for several years has taught me what to mess with, what not to mess with.]

Edited by RolandJS, 24 January 2016 - 09:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:45 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.Keep in mind there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and you will get varying opinions and recommendations. Some factors to consider are your personal preferences, your technical ability and experience, software effectiveness and additional features, user friendliness, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price.

Also keep in mind that while such tools are safe and useful for removing temporary, privacy related and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. In fact, I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:43 AM

Quietman7 is spot on!  That's why I mentioned Wise Disk Cleaner for cleaning browser history.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

I tried Wise Disk Cleaner and a few others but always come back to CCleaner.

#6 AnalogKid2112

AnalogKid2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

Hello quietman7 and RolandJS,

Thanks very much for your input and suggestions, they are really appreciated and i will definitely follow up on the advice you have provided. I left for overseas shortly after posing my original questions so i apologize if it seemed as if i asked for advice and ran away. Just got back home yesterday. So thanks again and i will follow up your advice, but in the meantime when i said:

"Can someone please suggest if some "perfect" all-in-one mega-tool of PC privacy utopia exists? A utility or suite of programs that gives maximum privacy to my online usage plus the best guarantee of rooting out and securely deleting at my option, the history and "hidden history" of my browsing experience both in the browser / hard drive / registry? A FULL CLEAN in an all-in-one package?"

You are telling me that as far as you are aware there isn't such a perfect complete "push one button and ALL internet/browsing history is 100% gone" type utility. Like i said, i realize there are both visible and not so visible traces of one's browsing history stores in bits and pieces accross the HD. In an ideal world, what i'm looking for is a "peace of mind" option that i hit "start" and the proggy scrubs the entire HD clean of all browsing activity traces and then performs a full cleaning of the HD's free space in however many passes. You hit "start" and it cleans the HD from head to toe. Any chance this jogs anyone's memory for such a util? I'm not concerned about it being free - i'm more than happy to pay for something of this greatness. I recently had an issue with my bank where someone was able to access my online banking remotely, even though i have many layers of security on my box including the paid real-time MWB, MWB "Anti-Exploit", Avast, Ccleaner, Zemana anti-keylogger and i now also use Keyscrambler. So i have more security than your average box yet somehow online banking was still compromised. My friend suggested that these hidden/not hidden odds n sods of browsing history that may remain undetected or undeleted by my current suite of programs could have somehow been accessed and used to breach online banking.

Anyways once again i'm rambling and my apologies. If anyone can recommend this "Super Scrubber" i am seeking or maybe put me on a path to a more appropriate place i can seek this answer i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

AK2112

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

No one single "Super Scrubber" that I am aware of.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

No one single "Super Scrubber" that I am aware of.

+1 -- some of those boasting to be Super-Scrubbers can cause some serious OS damage because such often scrub much more than just cookies and cache files.

AnalogKid, the best I could do and did:  set ccenhancer to call up ccleaner at every coldpost/boot and warmboot/restart.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

[deleted, I think thread-starter already solved this]

Edited by RolandJS, 04 February 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

This topic is in regards to Browsing History Deletion Tools.

There are ample other topics in this forum for discussion of anti-malware related tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users