Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GeForce 560 and GeForce 960 SLI Compatible?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 92jurassic

92jurassic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

I have a Evga GeForce 560 in my computer right now. My motherboard has multiple slots to hook graphics cards into so I figure I could go out and buy a PNY GeForce 960 and put it in. I got a PCI cable that didn't come with my power supply (Is this where my problem is?) to hook up power from my Corsair HX1000 power supply. I've read that My power supply is big enough to run both cards so I hooked up the SLI adapter. It doesn't seem to work though. 

I've been able to just run off the 560 with my 960 plugged in on the motherboard, but didn't have a PCI cable yet. I did that for about 2 weeks and it ran fine. Didn't notice a jump in frame rates, but nothing seemed to be breaking or acting funny too.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and get another 960? Or would it be worth it to get another 560 and attempt SLI with the 560's? Any tips, tricks, or advice would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

Let's say this, its not just inserting both cards to the mobo you need to have a sli adapter and connect both cards for it to work

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 92jurassic

92jurassic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:45 PM

I connected the SLI adapter. I've done some other snooping around since I've posted this. Never exactly ran 2 before, and its been years since I've messed with this stuff.

#4 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

You can't run two different GPU's in SLI.  If you want to SLI the 560, you need another 560.  If you want to SLI the 960, you have to have another 960, but you can't mix the two in SLI.

You can, however install both cards, as you did without connecting them in SLI and have a monitor connected to each card...but each card only processes for whatever is running on each monitor.  You don't gain any processing increases for a single program.

The issue with the 560's are 1GB of memory.  I don't know which games you run, but that's just not enough with the modern crop of games.

The 960 was intended to be the "sweet spot" for budget gaming, but the reality is, the 960 isn't really that great at its price point.  Right now, the 960's are running in the $200-225 price range.  You can possibly get them with mail-in rebates to knock that down to $180-190, but the truth is, if you have a decent CPU and gaming is your thing, you'd be much better served with a single 970.  Hardware-wise it's nearly double the card the 960 is and the performance graphs show it.  A 970 can be had for about $100 more than a 960 and is more than worth that extra cost if gaming is your gig.

SLI is one of those things that aren't as straight forward as you expect.  Certainly it works, but there are issues with it if you game on a single monitor or aren't into high-res gaming.  If you are running a single monitor set up at, or below 1080P resolution, a good single card is the best option.

Edited by Ram4x4, 25 January 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#5 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

Forgot to mention that first thing from RAM4X4

Don't even think about it if your not sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users