Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 -- freezes, USB ports not working, cursor disappears

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tigers85

Tigers85

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

My wife's Dell laptop, running Windows 7, freezes up for several minutes from time to time.  The USB ports won't read flash drives unless the computer is restarted (which only lasts for a few minutes), and the mouse cursor disappears from time to time for a few minutes.  Also unable to run Windows updates.  I need help determining if these issues are caused by a virus, or if there could be some other reason.

Edited by Tigers85, 24 January 2016 - 05:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

Hi Tigers85 :)

My name is Aura and I'll be assisting you with your issue. Follow the instructions below please.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the file to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Check the following options:
    • Flush DNS;
    • Report IE Proxy Settings;
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings;
    • Report FF Proxy Settings;
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings;
    • List content of Hosts;
    • List IP Configuration;
    • List Winsock Entries;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size;
      OQmAcqS.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users