Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't remove Managed Antivirus to ComboFix'it

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 <--ThisGuy

<--ThisGuy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

Hello!

I'm having a hard time with a computer. I finally got through Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and C Cleaner. My problem is that I can't run combofix because of Managed Antivirus. 

This is strange to me, since I am a residential MSP and I use Managed Antivirus with LogicNow. I have run the two removal tools that LogicNow gave me. I've went into C Cleaner Start Up programs and have deleted it. It never even has shown up in the programs list. ComboFix still detects it. I'm near the point of running ComboFix anyway and totaling the computer out (Its old anyway, but I would like to salvage it for the client. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this OS cooked?

Edited by <--ThisGuy, 24 January 2016 - 03:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

ComboFix is a very powerful reporting and scripting tool that was developped by sUBs, used by members of the malware removal team here on BleepingComputer (and also on other forums). This tool can easily break a Windows installation if poorly and/or wrongly used. It can make the whole system unbootable and also delete everything present on your drives (leaving you with close to no chance of recovery) or damage your Windows installation so badly that you would be forced to reinstall it. Therefore, you should not be using ComboFix unless you are in one of the two situation listed below:
  • You have been trained in an online malware removal forum to use ComboFix;
  • You are using it under the supervision and instructions of a trained malware removal professional on BleepingComputer or another recognized malware removal forum (UNITE forums for example);
If you already ran ComboFix on your system and need assistance with the log, you will have to post a thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section of BleepingComputer, where a trained helper will assist you.

If you have any questions or concerns about ComboFix, quietman7 wrote a FAQ on it and you'll find all your answers in it.

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Also be aware that BleepingComputer doesn't provide any advice on how to use ComboFix on your own, due to the nature of the tool and how dangerous it can be when used without supervision or proper training.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

Managed Antivirus is a GFI Software product so you may want to contact and ask GFI Support. Most vendors have clean up tools used for finding and removing remnants left over after an uninstall or failed uninstall.

GFI Support
GFI Max Support
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users