Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to type in the command prompt window and other issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Quantel1000

Quantel1000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

I have an ASUS Altec Lansing laptop which I am trying to repair. It was given to me by a friend as it was unable to load windows. It came with a recovery disk no OEM and I was able to run the repair successfully and it reinstalled Win 7 HP 64 bit. I partioned the hard drive into C and D. This laptop hadn't been used in awhile so there were many updates to install which it did with the exception of the graphics card driver. Occasionally, I would get the BSOD but was able to recover and launch Windows.

I have tried various boot up options (f8) in the list but wanted to use safe mode with command prompt it comes up as x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe but does not allow keyboard imput so that's a first for me. My first thought is that it's not seeing the c: drive where the OS was installed.

I changed the boot order in the bios to run from the cd drive so I could run the recovery disk again but it's not bringing up the system tools to allow me to do anything......actually it did a couple of days ago it didn't show a drive to repair that box was blank and it wouldnt let me reinstall drivers and just hung there.

Any suggestions would be great I'm using this laptop to learn with so even if I have to go back to the beginning its fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

I am not sure it will work on the laptop but download ASUS's diagnostic tool.

If not ASUS's tool you can run Seatools for Windows to check your hard drive and Memtest+86 to check your memory. Run the memory test for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users