Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting 'AW Snap' message then computer blue screens and reboots

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mr12345678

mr12345678

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

For a long time, my HP A6 laptop would constantly give me an 'AW Snap' message on the internet, then bluescreen, to the point of making the computer unusable, then it stopped doing it for several months.  Now it is doing the same thing.  I ran the ADWCleaner and it did not help.

I tried a system restore.  On two of the checkpoints, I get a message '...adthis_widget(1).js could not be replaced with its original copy from the restore point.'  I deleted the file and still get that message. Not only that, but that file is part of an 'online' textbook which I am no longer using. 

On another checkpoint, the computer bluescreens in the middle!

If I can somehow get the restore to skip that file, I can at least get the restore to work, unless of course, it bluescreens in the middle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

That "aw snap" message is usually a problem on a web site and not your computer.  However to be sure you could try a differerent browser.  You didn't say what you're using, but there are Chrome, Firefox, and others in addition to Internet Explorer.  Windows 10 has a new one called Edge if you're running 10 (you didn't say).

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $50 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 mr12345678

mr12345678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

The real issue is the blue screen and system restore.

How do I get around the message '...adthis_widget(1).js could not be replaced with its original copy from the restore point.'

If I can somehow get the restore to skip that file, I can at least get the restore to work, unless of course, it bluescreens in the middle, like it did with one of the checkpoints. Is this possible to do?

As far as the 'AW snap' issue, it affects every browser, every site.  The internet appears to act up before the blue screen although sometimes it blue screen's without the internet up and is sitting idle, which leads me to believe, the 'blue screen' issue causes the internet to act up.

It is an AMD system and I clocked it down to prevent overheating awhile back.  I made some adjustments recently using Catalyst, could that be causing this?

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

Maybe you should check for corrupt files with SFC.  If that doesn't find anything, maybe you should make a post in the Am I Infected forum and follow the advice to check for malware & viruses.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users