Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VirtualBox: how to run a VM safely?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Those are two suggestions that I think achieve what you are trying to do. You are correct that if you use a virtual firewall server then you would need to run two virtual machines simultaneously.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

I started a new topic here.

Edit: sorry for the double topic, please post replies here.

Edited by The Man from Oahu, 04 February 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#18 BertPeace13

BertPeace13

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

I have been posting all over the site https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638283/windows-10-and-windows-xp-on-the-same-computer/?p=4167635 and https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638280/blitzkrieg-1-compatibility-issues-with-windows-10/?p=4167617 trying to find an answer for playing an XP based game on a W10 Home 64-bit OS, without having to go through a ton of crashes in a half-hour gaming session. 

In one of my other two posts a very helpful bloke suggested a VM based on VirtualBox, with an XP OS, and that's why I ended up here. My main worry is that by using resources such as this one (I was even considering running XP on a separate partition of my HD) I might harm the original OS, and consecuently all of the installed packages, AND CONSECUENTLY the entire machine.

Is it safe to do something like this, considering what I just wrote? My PC isn't part of a network or something like that, just has an Internet connection and a printer attached. 

All I want to do is to be able to play the game crash-free, without harming the rest of my system  :(

#19 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

Bert, please feel free to start a new thread if you have specific concerns about creating a VM. The short answer to your question is the whole idea of a virtual machine is that it has its own virtual hard disk. A change on your VM generally will not change your host. The exception is if you make a change to a shared folder from the VM then obviously the folder on the host will change.

#20 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 4,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:30 AM

@BurtPeace #18

VMs have got nothing to do with networking so this is not the correct section for this sort of question. I have had a look at your topic in the Win 10 section and you appear to be getting accurate and relevant advice there. Pleae continue in that topic.

If there is something about VMs that is not clear to you then ask for a further explanation. They are in fact quite simple to use. Until I got my hands on an older computer I used one to run some truly ancient CAD software on my desktop without any problems. The only drawback I found was that it didn't run games very well !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users